Concept of 'encirclement' in Nyquist plot

In summary: This means that the closed loop system is stable. In summary, the Nyquist contour line encircling the origin once in both directions shows that the net encirclement is zero, indicating stability of the closed loop system.
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I know the procedure to construct Nyquist plot and check the stability of the given system. But I am a bit confused about the concept of encirclement in the argument principle.
Consider the following figure.
20210105_221455.jpg

This is the Nyquist plot for the given open loop transfer function.
The Nyquist contour here is the jw axis (skipping poles at origin) and the entire RHP.
Now, as per the argument principle,
since no poles and zeros of G(s)H(s) lie in the region encircled by the Nyquist contour, the net encirclement around the origin in the Nyquist plot should also be 0.
But the origin appears to be encircled once in CW direction (dotted black line).
How can I conclude from the above plot that the net encirclement around origin is zero?
Am I missing something fundamental? (most likely).

Note: I can see the point -1+j0 is encircled twice in CW direction. So N= -2, P=0 which means CLTF poles z= P-N=2 and the closed loop system is unstable.

My confusion is about the encirclement around the origin based on the argument principle as stated earlier.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think the detailed Nyquist plot is as follows : -

Contour.jpg

Since the contour line encircles the origin in counterclockwise direction once, and again in clockwise direction, the total number of times encircling the origin is equal to zero.

1. What is the concept of "encirclement" in Nyquist plot?

The concept of "encirclement" in Nyquist plot refers to the phenomenon where the Nyquist plot of a system encircles the point (-1,0) on the complex plane. This indicates the presence of closed-loop poles in the system, which can affect the stability and performance of the system.

2. How is "encirclement" related to the stability of a system?

The number of times the Nyquist plot encircles the point (-1,0) is directly related to the number of unstable poles in the system. If the plot encircles the point once, there is one unstable pole, and if it encircles the point twice, there are two unstable poles. Therefore, "encirclement" is an important factor in determining the stability of a system.

3. Can a Nyquist plot encircle the point (-1,0) in the clockwise direction?

No, a Nyquist plot can only encircle the point (-1,0) in the counterclockwise direction. This is because the plot is a representation of the complex transfer function, which is always evaluated in the counterclockwise direction.

4. What does a Nyquist plot look like when there is no "encirclement"?

If the Nyquist plot does not encircle the point (-1,0), it means that the system is stable and has no unstable poles. In this case, the plot will either lie entirely in the left half of the complex plane or on the real axis.

5. How can "encirclement" be used to analyze the stability of a system?

By analyzing the number of times the Nyquist plot encircles the point (-1,0), we can determine the number of unstable poles in the system and therefore, the stability of the system. Additionally, the shape and direction of the encirclement can provide insights into the performance and robustness of the system.