Fat Digestion - Bile & Lipase Role

• Thread starter PRINCESS NOOR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Urgent
In summary: The major exception is the pulmonary circuit, where the veins carry oxygenated blood and the arteries carry deoxygenated blood.In summary, bile is an enzyme that aids in the digestion and absorption of fats, while lipase is an enzyme responsible for breaking down neutral fats into glycerol and fatty acids. Emulsification is the process of breaking down fat into smaller units so that lipases can degrade it. Arteries carry blood away from the heart while veins return blood to the heart, with the exception of the pulmonary circuit.
PRINCESS NOOR
Dear Sirs,

i would like to now exactly the role of these two substances in the process of fat digestion.

1. bile
2.lipase

thank you for this lovely site, and i appreciate your kindness and generous to answer me this simple question which confused me a lot.

with my regards

Biology news on Phys.org
For Lipase,
This is trick for the future. Any biological compount that finishes by "ase" is always an enzyme. The first portion of the name is descriptive of the function or taget of the enzyme. So lipids are degraded by an enzyme. So lipases break down neutral fats (triglycerides) into glycerol and fatty acids

For bile, it aids in the digestion and absorption of fats in the intestines and stimulates peristalsis. The role of bile is to break down fat into smaller units so lipases can degraded it.

PRINCESS NOOR said:
Dear Sirs,
And madams :tongue:

Welcome to the forums :wink:

emulsification of fat

Dear Sirs,

i would like to thank you for answering my previous question.

i have 2 more questions that i need an answer for it:

1. i need a proper definition for the term "emulsification" of fat
2. i want a proper distinguish between the artery and the vein in the heart.

many thanks

For #1, see http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/digestion/smallgut/absorb_lipids.html for a definition and a good explanation of the process of digesting lipids, since it seems you have a number of questions on this.

For #2, there's a good mnemonic...Arteries lead Away from the heart. Veins then return blood to the heart.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the role of bile in fat digestion?

Bile is a greenish-yellow fluid produced by the liver and stored in the gallbladder. Its main role in fat digestion is to emulsify large fat droplets into smaller ones, making it easier for lipase (an enzyme) to break down the fat molecules into smaller components that can be absorbed by the small intestine.

Where is bile produced and stored?

Bile is produced by the liver and stored in the gallbladder. The liver continuously produces bile, which is then stored in the gallbladder until it is needed for fat digestion.

What is the role of lipase in fat digestion?

Lipase is an enzyme produced by the pancreas that breaks down fats into smaller molecules called fatty acids and glycerol. It works in conjunction with bile to break down large fat droplets into smaller ones for easier absorption by the small intestine. Lipase is also responsible for breaking down triglycerides, the most common type of fat in our diet.

How does the small intestine absorb fats?

After bile and lipase break down the fat molecules into smaller components, the small intestine absorbs them through the villi, which are small finger-like projections that line the walls of the small intestine. The villi have specialized cells that absorb the fatty acids and glycerol and transport them into the bloodstream to be used by the body.

What happens to bile and lipase after they have completed their role in fat digestion?

After bile and lipase have completed their role in fat digestion, they are recycled by the body. Bile is reabsorbed into the bloodstream and returned to the liver to be used again. Lipase is also reabsorbed and reused by the pancreas for future fat digestion. This recycling process allows the body to efficiently use these substances and maintain digestive health.