Low-pass filter with no inductance, and voltage output over a resistor

by Tetraoxygen
Tags: capacitor, filter, impedance, resistor
Share this thread:
Tetraoxygen
Apr22-12, 01:28 AM
P: 7
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I am supposed to find the circuit design for a first-order low-pass filter. The filter must be made of resistors and capacitors only (no inductances). Furthermore, the output voltage must be measured over a resistor or something in parallel with a resistor.

2. Relevant equations
Impedance for a capacitor is 1/[jwC], for a resistor is R
Voltage divider for impedances

3. The attempt at a solution
i) Attempt at following those constraints:
A resistor R1 in series with the signal source and in series with (a resistor R2 in parallel with a capacitor C). Note: I realize this is not a strictly low-pass filter.
Impedance over the series resistor
z1 = R1
Impedance over the parallel component
z2 = R2/[jwCR1 + 1]
Equivalent impedance
z = (R1 + R2)[jwCR1R2(1/[R1+R2) + 1]/[jwCR2+1]

As far as I can tell, this is actually a bandpass (or reject) filter with cutoff frequencies at
(R1 + R2)/(C R1 R2) and 1/(C R2).

ii) I realize I can make an RC low-pass filter (but then the output voltage is not measured over a resistor) and an RL low-pass filter (but then there is an inductor).

Please help. Or, if you know definitively that this is an impossible task, please tell me so. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
rude man
Apr22-12, 05:19 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 4,759
Quote Quote by Tetraoxygen View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I am supposed to find the circuit design for a first-order low-pass filter. The filter must be made of resistors and capacitors only (no inductances). Furthermore, the output voltage must be measured over a resistor or something in parallel with a resistor.

2. Relevant equations
Impedance for a capacitor is 1/[jwC], for a resistor is R
Voltage divider for impedances

3. The attempt at a solution
i) Attempt at following those constraints:
A resistor R1 in series with the signal source and in series with (a resistor R2 in parallel with a capacitor C). Note: I realize this is not a strictly low-pass filter.
Impedance over the series resistor
z1 = R1
Impedance over the parallel component

z2 = R2/[jwCR1 + 1]
Recheck this!

Equivalent impedance
z = (R1 + R2)[jwCR1R2(1/[R1+R2) + 1]/[jwCR2+1]

As far as I can tell, this is actually a bandpass (or reject) filter with cutoff frequencies at
(R1 + R2)/(C R1 R2) and 1/(C R2).

ii) I realize I can make an RC low-pass filter (but then the output voltage is not measured over a resistor) and an RL low-pass filter (but then there is an inductor).

Please help. Or, if you know definitively that this is an impossible task, please tell me so. Thanks.
Your circuit (which I assume is R1 from input to output and R2||C from output to ground) is a low-pass circuit. You can reduce it to the form a/(a+b+jwC).
NascentOxygen
Apr22-12, 06:49 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,159
A resistor R1 in series with the signal source and in series with (a resistor R2 in parallel with a capacitor C).
Sounds okay as a LPF. It will preferentially pass lower frequencies and down to DC.

You can take the output as the voltage across that R∥C combo, or alternatively you could break that R into 2 and take output from across its lower portion.

Tetraoxygen
Apr22-12, 07:25 AM
P: 7
Low-pass filter with no inductance, and voltage output over a resistor

That was a typo:
z2 should have been
R2/(jwcR2 + 1)

But really, I forgot to take:
z2/(z1+z2)

Now I have
R1/(R1 + R2)/[jwcR1R2(1/[R1+R2]) + 1]

with cutoff frequency (R1 + R2)/(R1 R2)