Power dissipated by a resistor in combined citcuit

In summary, the power dissipated by R2 is 244.95 watts given that V a-b=120 volts, R1=1, R2=3.33, R3=2, and R4=3.
UTK_James
Find the power dissipated by R2 given that V a-b=120 volts, R1=1, R2=3.33, R3=2, and R4=3

I've worked this problem, just want to confirm I worked it correctly.

A---------R1-----------*-------------------
| |
R2 R3
| |
B---------R4----------*--------------------

Req=5.25 Ohms, therefore total current, I, =V/Req 120V/2.25 Ohms I=22.86A
We then find the voltage drop over R1, since it sees all the current in the circuit
V=IR V=22.86A*1 Ohm v=22.86
we also know that R4 will see all current in the circuit, so we calculate its voltage drop as well.
v=68.58
the total of these two drops subtracted from the total equals 28.56.
Since R2 and R3 are in parallel, they see equal current, meaning the remaining voltage is dissipated over these two resistors.

using the power formula, P=V^2/R, we can find the power dissipated by R2 by 28.56^2/3.33 P=244.95 watts.

Is this correct, or have I missed something somewhere

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a note, the R2 is inbetween the two stars and R3 is at the end of the circuit. SOrry for the confusion

Looks fine. Note that you should avoid rounding intermediate results except for presentation purposes; keep extra digits in intermediate values that will be used in further calculations to keep rounding errors from creeping into significant digits in final results.

If you want to post ascii diagrams, consider placing their text between [ code ] [ /code ] tags. That way spacing and indents will be preserved.

Looks ok but..

Since R2 and R3 are in parallel, they see equal current voltage, meaning the remaining voltage is dissipated over these two resistors.

?

Your calculations and approach are correct. The power dissipated by R2 in this circuit would be 244.95 watts. Good job!

What is power dissipation in a combined circuit?

Power dissipation in a combined circuit refers to the amount of energy that is converted into heat by a resistor when an electric current passes through it. This heat is generated due to the resistance of the material in the resistor and is measured in watts (W).

How is power dissipation calculated?

The power dissipation of a resistor in a combined circuit can be calculated using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is power in watts, I is current in amperes, and R is resistance in ohms.

What factors affect power dissipation in a combined circuit?

The main factors that affect power dissipation in a combined circuit are the resistance of the resistor, the amount of current flowing through it, and the duration of time the current is passing through it. Other factors such as ambient temperature and the material of the resistor may also play a role.

Why is it important to consider power dissipation in a combined circuit?

It is important to consider power dissipation in a combined circuit because excessive heat generated by a resistor can cause damage to the circuit and its components. It can also lead to a decrease in the efficiency and lifespan of the circuit. By understanding power dissipation, engineers can design circuits that can handle the expected heat output and ensure the proper functioning of the circuit.

Can power dissipation be reduced in a combined circuit?

Yes, power dissipation can be reduced in a combined circuit by using resistors with lower resistance, decreasing the amount of current flowing through the circuit, or by using a heat sink to dissipate the heat generated by the resistor. Additionally, using materials with higher thermal conductivity for the resistor can also help in reducing power dissipation.