Difference between an expectation value and an average

by Scott4775
Tags: average, difference, expectation
Share this thread:
Scott4775
May10-12, 05:39 PM
P: 9
Hi everyone,

What is the difference between an expectation value and an average. I may have this wrong, but is it something along these lines:

You perform a series of measurements on a given observable, such as momentum, and the average value of all these measurements is your expectation value?

I'm sorry if I have this concept totally wrong. I appreciate any help you all may have.

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Symphony of nanoplasmonic and optical resonators produces laser-like light emission
Do we live in a 2-D hologram? New Fermilab experiment will test the nature of the universe
Duality principle is 'safe and sound': Researchers clear up apparent violation of wave-particle duality
jtbell
May10-12, 10:14 PM
Mentor
P: 11,772
The expectation value is the average that you expect to get, calculated from the wave function. As you take more and more measurements of the same quantity, their average tends closer and closer to the expectation value. In the limit as the number of measurements goes to infinity, we expect the measured average to become equal to the expectation value.
Scott4775
May11-12, 12:22 AM
P: 9
Thank you, that explains it perfectly! :)

Register to reply