Trying to design a gear with minimum thickness

In summary, the minimum thickness for a gear is determined by the number of teeth and the module of the gear, as well as the material properties. Factors that influence the design of a gear with minimum thickness include gear ratio, torque and power requirements, materials, and manufacturing process. A gear with minimum thickness can still withstand high loads with proper design techniques. The manufacturing process can impact the minimum thickness by affecting accuracy and surface finish. While designing a gear with minimum thickness has some advantages, there may be limitations in manufacturing processes, material properties, and overall strength and durability.
mendi1
Hello,

I am blanking on the equations I should use to calculate the stress through a section of a gear. I would like to be able to calculate the thickness of trepanned gear. Hopefully the attachment helps show what I am looking for. The area between the arrows needs to be minimized.

Thank you

Attachments

• example trepanning.PDF
    7.1 KB · Views: 334
Engineering news on Phys.org
what the heck is a trepanned gear? is this a helical, straight cut?

1. How do you determine the minimum thickness for a gear?

The minimum thickness for a gear is determined by the number of teeth on the gear and the module (distance between teeth) of the gear. It can also be affected by the material properties of the gear.

2. What factors influence the design of a gear with minimum thickness?

The main factors that influence the design of a gear with minimum thickness include the desired gear ratio, the torque and power requirements, the materials used, and the manufacturing process.

3. Can a gear with minimum thickness still be strong enough to withstand high loads?

Yes, a gear with minimum thickness can still be strong enough to withstand high loads. This is achieved through careful selection of materials and proper design techniques, such as using fillets and strengthening ribs.

4. How does the manufacturing process impact the minimum thickness of a gear?

The manufacturing process can impact the minimum thickness of a gear by affecting the accuracy and precision of the gear teeth, as well as the surface finish. It is important to choose a manufacturing process that can produce the required dimensions and surface quality for the gear.

5. Are there any limitations to designing a gear with minimum thickness?

While designing a gear with minimum thickness may offer advantages such as reducing weight and minimizing space requirements, there are some limitations. These may include limitations in manufacturing processes, material properties, and the overall strength and durability of the gear.