Gearbox Gear ratio: How to get 60 rpm to 3500rpm? help please

In summary: I would recommend looking for a geared motor that has a lower rpm. Something like a 3500rpm geared motor would be ideal.
Manish
Hello I am trying to achieve 3500 rpm from 60rpm. The gear ratio I have worked out is 58:1. To minimize the size I have divided into 4 levels with the gear ratio of 2:1, 3.1, 3.1, 3,1, which rounds me up to 54:1 ratio is also ideal for me can anyone please help mw find the appropriate solution or confirm my working out or understanding of the gear ratio is appropriate please.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Manish said:
The gear ratio I have worked out is 58:1.
How did you work this out? (This will give you 3480 rpm from 60 rpm. Then you change it to 54:1 which will give you 3240 rpm.)

Likes Manish
Hello thanks for replying. Sorry I should have been more clear the 54:1 gear ratio comes from the calculation that tired to change to spur gear with 4 levels with the gear ratio of 2:1, 3.1, 3.1, 3,1 which game me 54:1.
Is this the proper way of change to spur gear ratio?

What are the requirements?

Likes FactChecker
Your math of the ratios is correct. There may be other things to consider.

Likes Manish
hutchphd said:
What are the requiremeI am
The requirements is to get 60 rpm to speed of 3200 to 35000 rpm in between those numbers.
I am trying to calculate the ideal gear ratio to change to spur gear by adding 4 level of gears instead of just two gears.
So if I have 54:1 gear ratio by changing ratio to 4 levels with the gear ratio of 2:1, 3.1, 3.1, 3,1 will work out to get me 3240rpm?

Many thanks!

FactChecker said:
Your math of the ratios is correct. There may be other things to consider.
Thank you for confirming!

Manish said:
The requirements is to get 60 rpm to speed of 3200 to 35000 rpm

It would have been good to say that at the beginning, yes?

Manish said:
3200 to 35000 rpm
Is that a typo?

Why don't you just use a faster motor in the first place to generate the higher speed? How much power do you require at the higher speed?

hutchphd said:
It would have been good to say that at the beginning, yes?
Yes sorry. I should have explained it better.

Likes hutchphd
berkeman said:
Is that a typo?

Why don't you just use a faster motor in the first place to generate the higher speed? How much power do you require at the higher speed?
my input gearbox will have to be 60rpm and we are using 12v motor generator which has 3500rpm. Yes sorry it was as typo. Do you recommend any 12v dc motor generator with lower rpm which can be stopped using hand power as we know lower rpm motor cannot be stopped. If 3500 rpm is a higher rpm then what would be the efficient rpm using 60rpm gear box?

Last edited:

1. What is a gearbox gear ratio?

A gearbox gear ratio is the relationship between the number of teeth on the input gear and the number of teeth on the output gear. It determines how much the output gear will rotate in relation to the input gear.

2. How do I calculate the gear ratio for a specific speed?

To calculate the gear ratio for a specific speed, you will need to know the desired output speed and the input speed. The gear ratio can be calculated by dividing the output speed by the input speed.

3. How can I achieve a gear ratio of 60 rpm to 3500 rpm?

To achieve a gear ratio of 60 rpm to 3500 rpm, you will need to use a gearbox with a gear ratio of 1:58.33. This means that for every 1 rotation of the input gear, the output gear will rotate 58.33 times, resulting in an output speed of 3500 rpm.

4. Can I change the gear ratio without changing the gears?

Yes, you can change the gear ratio without changing the gears by using a variable speed gearbox. This type of gearbox allows you to adjust the gear ratio by changing the position of the gears, rather than physically changing the gears themselves.

5. What are some factors that can affect the gear ratio?

The gear ratio can be affected by the number of teeth on the gears, the size and material of the gears, and the type of gearbox being used. Other factors such as friction, lubrication, and external forces can also impact the gear ratio.