Please give me a brief information of these undergraduate degrees

In summary, the conversation discusses different engineering disciplines including CSE, ECE, EEE, EE, SE, and IT. The OP is seeking information about the differences between these branches and the conversation offers insights on how to make a decision based on personal interests and university course curriculum. The conversation also touches on the job opportunities and specializations within each discipline. There is also a mention of considering one's rank when choosing a branch for AIEEE.
vkash
(1)CSE(computer science and engineering)
(2)ECE(electronics and communication engineering)
(3)EEE(electrical and electronics engineering)
(4) EE(electrical engineering)
(5) SE(software engineering)
(6) IT(information technology)

what is basic thing that is different in all these trades..

i have a weak to fill up my choices so i want to gather information about branches...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you use Google?

Shaun_W said:
Why can't you use Google?
i had tried but doesn't get any good information..
everybody will tell me about these things(a particular discipline) but none tell about what's the difference>>
and that's what i need

If you know about the different disciplines, then surely the difference between them would be obvious?

Come on, guys, try to be a little more helpful. It does no good to tell someone to "Google it", because chances are Google is what brings people to these very forums. That is what brought me here. Unfortunately, Google "answers" most of my "questions" by bringing me to forums where someone else has asked the same question and usually not received a good answer.

As for the OP, I agree that most of the info about these different majors/degrees seems to overlap a great deal, leaving the differences difficult to discern. My understanding is that all of these studies will give you access to all the same jobs, with the exception of IT which seems more likely to lead you to a corporate/business type job.

In my humble understanding, the reason to take these different majors is not to target any specific job, but to have a slightly different journey in getting to the same destination. In other words, it goes back to that old oft repeated sentiment "study what you enjoy" so if one major is more interesting than another, take that one. Perhaps the best way to decide which one is more interesting is by going to a university website and taking a look at the required course curriculum for each major and decide which classes sound more interesting. I am in the same situation of deciding what to study, and this is the method that seems most helpful to me. Then again, if you already know what university you are going to, chances are they don't offer all these different things, but only some of them, so that limits your choices already.

I could be totally wrong about this, and if I am I hope someone would correct me. Like many who arrive here via Google, I am just an aspiring student trying to make the best decision.

FizzixGai said:
Come on, guys, try to be a little more helpful. It does no good to tell someone to "Google it", because chances are Google is what brings people to these very forums. That is what brought me here. Unfortunately, Google "answers" most of my "questions" by bringing me to forums where someone else has asked the same question and usually not received a good answer.

As for the OP, I agree that most of the info about these different majors/degrees seems to overlap a great deal, leaving the differences difficult to discern. My understanding is that all of these studies will give you access to all the same jobs, with the exception of IT which seems more likely to lead you to a corporate/business type job.

In my humble understanding, the reason to take these different majors is not to target any specific job, but to have a slightly different journey in getting to the same destination. In other words, it goes back to that old oft repeated sentiment "study what you enjoy" so if one major is more interesting than another, take that one. Perhaps the best way to decide which one is more interesting is by going to a university website and taking a look at the required course curriculum for each major and decide which classes sound more interesting. I am in the same situation of deciding what to study, and this is the method that seems most helpful to me. Then again, if you already know what university you are going to, chances are they don't offer all these different things, but only some of them, so that limits your choices already.

I could be totally wrong about this, and if I am I hope someone would correct me. Like many who arrive here via Google, I am just an aspiring student trying to make the best decision.

hmmmm..
i am thinking to choose electrical and electronics engineering , it looks more core branch i mean more basic => more deeper...

any tip from u..
which of the above teaches from very basics...

vkash said:
hmmmm..
i am thinking to choose electrical and electronics engineering , it looks more core branch i mean more basic => more deeper...

any tip from u..
which of the above teaches from very basics...

I can't speak from experience, but your guess sounds good to me. If you mean to avoid specializing, then just plain old Electrical Engineering would appear to have the broadest and least specific approach.

I should have mentioned earlier, but I think most of those are more hardware focused while software engineering is obviously more software focused.

vkash said:
(1)CSE(computer science and engineering)
(2)ECE(electronics and communication engineering)
(3)EEE(electrical and electronics engineering)
(4) EE(electrical engineering)
(5) SE(software engineering)
(6) IT(information technology)

what is basic thing that is different in all these trades..

i have a weak to fill up my choices so i want to gather information about branches...

By "filling up your choices", I assume you're referring to the AIEEE online choice-fillup. If that is the case, would you mind telling us your rank as well? Because even if you choose an engineering branch that appeals to you, if your rank doesn't meet up to the competition, all is for nothing.

Of course, I do realize that branch suggestions aren't what you're asking for, but just telling; if your rank is low, do not give top priority to competitive branches like ECE/EEE. Chances are you're end up with nothing.

jobsism said:
By "filling up your choices", I assume you're referring to the AIEEE online choice-fillup. If that is the case, would you mind telling us your rank as well? Because even if you choose an engineering branch that appeals to you, if your rank doesn't meet up to the competition, all is for nothing.

Of course, I do realize that branch suggestions aren't what you're asking for, but just telling; if your rank is low, do not give top priority to competitive branches like ECE/EEE. Chances are you're end up with nothing.
my AIR is 9616 :cry: ..
i am from delhi and my state rank is 1012..
and my score is 216..
i can't get in top cream layer colleges but i think i can get lower nits..

you seems to be from India if it is so then can you please help me in other counsellings??

I don't think you're rank is bad at all, considering you got into the top 10000. But yes, the higher NITs and top colleges are inaccessible with that rank, for ECE/EEE. That being said, I think you might have a possibility of getting into NIT Delhi through the HS quota, though it'd be a tough scrape if you did.

I suggest you go through last year's opening and closing ranks (if you haven't done so already), to get an idea of how reachable you desired college/course is, and then choose your preferences according to it. Here is the link: - http://www.ccb.nic.in/ccb2012/website/orcrforaieee2011.html

Also, since you are in the top 10000, you become eligible to apply to IISERs as well, in case you aren't looking at engineering alone.

And yes, I'm from India as well, and can help you with other counselling doubts if you have any.

Last edited by a moderator:
jobsism said:
I don't think you're rank is bad at all, considering you got into the top 10000. But yes, the higher NITs and top colleges are inaccessible with that rank, for ECE/EEE. That being said, I think you might have a possibility of getting into NIT Delhi through the HS quota, though it'd be a tough scrape if you did.

I suggest you go through last year's opening and closing ranks (if you haven't done so already), to get an idea of how reachable you desired college/course is, and then choose your preferences according to it. Here is the link: - http://www.ccb.nic.in/ccb2012/website/orcrforaieee2011.html

Also, since you are in the top 10000, you become eligible to apply to IISERs as well, in case you aren't looking at engineering alone.

And yes, I'm from India as well, and can help you with other counselling doubts if you have any.

what about IISER..
are they good enough?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are undergraduate degrees?

Undergraduate degrees are academic degrees earned after completing a high school education. They are typically the first level of higher education and are offered by colleges and universities.

2. What are the different types of undergraduate degrees?

There are several types of undergraduate degrees, including bachelor's degrees, associate's degrees, and undergraduate certificates. Bachelor's degrees are the most common and typically take four years to complete, while associate's degrees take two years and undergraduate certificates can take anywhere from a few months to two years.

3. What is the difference between a bachelor's degree and an associate's degree?

The main difference between a bachelor's degree and an associate's degree is the length of time it takes to complete them. Bachelor's degrees usually take four years while associate's degrees take two years. Additionally, bachelor's degrees are more specialized and offer a deeper level of knowledge in a specific field, while associate's degrees provide a general education and can be used as a stepping stone to a bachelor's degree.

4. What are some common majors for undergraduate degrees?

Some common majors for undergraduate degrees include business, psychology, biology, English, and computer science. However, there are many other majors available depending on the college or university, so it's important to research and find a program that aligns with your interests and career goals.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree with an undergraduate degree?

Yes, you can pursue a graduate degree with an undergraduate degree. In fact, many graduate programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in a related field. Some undergraduate degrees may also offer accelerated programs, where students can earn both their bachelor's and master's degrees in a shorter amount of time.