Since we are on the subject of internships

In summary, the best option for you is to continue working while going to school full time and potentially graduating in 2-2.5 years.
kdinser
I need a few opinions on what to do this spring and summer.

I currently have a decent, part time job fixing computers and networks. The job does not pay well, but I'm able to meet my needs of food, shelter, and some meager entertainment. It's also important to me that I don't hate going to work and I have an extremely flexible schedule. I'm single with 0 kids and I don't have a house to support. I'm about as, responsibility free, as you can get and I have parents that are willing to help me out finacially if I need it.

I was in school for a long time before dropping out and getting into the IT field. I'm 32 years old now and will be 33 in November. I'm planning on graduating with a degree in electrical engineering, maybe dual major in EE and CoE. I've taken every basic course required, English comp, humanities, pol sci, econ...and on, and on, and on, so the only classes I have left, after this semester, are my engineering classes and a couple math classes.

Here's where I need some help, I've got 3 paths to choose from.

1. I can keep working where I'm at. Go to school full time, year round, and finish in 2 to 2.5 years.

2. I can try and do internships during the summers, but this moves my graduation date to about 3 to 3.5 years. Also, how far into the engineering courses do you usually need to get before companies would be willing to hire you as an intern? Last but not least, given my advanced age, do you think it would be best for me to get some internship experience or to graduate ASP?

3. I could also quite working, do some side work, get student loans, and probably finish school in 2 years or maybe even less.

Thanks for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the best option for you is to keep working where you are at, go to school full time, and finish in 2-2.5 years. This will allow you to remain financially stable while still continuing on with your education. Doing internships is a great way to gain experience in the field, but given your situation, it might be best to focus on graduating as soon as possible. If you do decide to do internships, make sure to research the requirements for each one to see if you meet them. Lastly, if you decide to take out student loans, make sure to budget your money carefully so that you can pay them back without getting into too much debt.

It's great that you have a flexible job and a supportive family, but it's important to consider your long-term goals and how internships can help you achieve them. Here are some things to consider:

1. Internships provide valuable hands-on experience: While your current job may provide some technical skills, internships allow you to apply what you have learned in the classroom to real-life projects and challenges. This experience is highly valued by employers and will make you a more competitive job candidate upon graduation.

2. Networking opportunities: Internships also give you the chance to network with professionals in your field. Building relationships with people in the industry can lead to job opportunities and references in the future.

3. Graduating with experience: Having internships on your resume can make you stand out to potential employers. It shows that you have not only the theoretical knowledge from your courses, but also practical skills and experience.

4. Consider the timing: While graduating sooner may seem appealing, it's important to think about the value of taking your time to gain experience through internships. Graduating later with internships under your belt may actually make you a more attractive job candidate and potentially lead to higher paying job offers.

5. Consider your financial situation: Taking out student loans may allow you to finish school faster, but it's important to carefully consider the financial implications. Can you afford to take on more debt? Will the potential increase in salary after graduation be enough to offset the cost of the loans?

Ultimately, the decision is yours and will depend on your personal goals and priorities. It may be beneficial to speak with a career counselor or academic advisor to weigh your options and make an informed decision. Good luck!

1. What are the benefits of completing an internship?

Internships provide valuable hands-on experience in a specific field, allowing individuals to apply their knowledge and skills in a real-world setting. They also offer the opportunity to network with professionals and potentially secure future job opportunities. Additionally, internships can help individuals gain a better understanding of their career interests and goals.

2. How do I find an internship in my desired field?

There are various ways to find internships, including searching online job boards, attending career fairs, and utilizing your network. It is also beneficial to reach out to companies directly and inquire about internship opportunities. Additionally, many universities and colleges have resources and connections to assist students in finding internships.

3. Are internships paid or unpaid?

Internships can be either paid or unpaid, depending on the company and type of internship. Some internships may offer a stipend or hourly wage, while others may be unpaid but offer academic credit or valuable experience. It is important to research and understand the compensation and benefits of an internship before accepting an offer.

4. How long do internships typically last?

The duration of internships can vary greatly, ranging from a few weeks to several months. Some may even last up to a year, depending on the company's needs and the intern's availability. It is important to clarify the length of an internship before accepting an offer to ensure it aligns with your academic and career goals.

5. Can I receive academic credit for completing an internship?

Many universities and colleges offer academic credit for internships, which can count towards a student's degree requirements. However, it is important to check with your academic advisor or department to ensure the internship aligns with your program's requirements. Some internships may also require students to complete a project or report for academic credit.