What is an appropriate way of asking a professor for a project?

In summary, the student is an undergraduate Physics student who is currently interning at a graduate-level institute under the guidance of an Astrophysics professor. Despite the project being basic, the student finds it interesting and is considering asking the mentor for continued guidance after the internship ends. The student is unsure if this would be appropriate and acknowledges that the professor may have other commitments. The student's current institution is a liberal arts institution and the Physics faculty is highly reputed, with some professors engaging in research and others purely focused on teaching. The student is unsure of their own credibility as an inexperienced undergrad but wants to make the most out of any guidance they receive. The current institution does not have a set expectation for students to participate in research.
f3sicA_A
I am an undergraduate Physics student who will just be going to his second year right now. Currently, my summer break is going on and I am interning under the guidance of an Astrophysics professor at a reputed (graduate-level) institute in my country, and I am working on an interesting project (albeit quite basic given how I'm just an undergrad). Even though my project is quite basic, I find it quite interesting and I was wondering if it would be appropriate to ask my mentor to continue guiding me through the means of projects after the duration of the internship.

To elaborate, my internship is 3 months long and what I was basically wondering was if it would be appropriate to ask my mentor, at the end of my internship, if I can continue pursuing projects under his guidance even after the duration of the internship. One possible challenge I see is the fact that the university I attend is quite far from where I am interning right now, so once my uni starts, if my mentor agrees to continue guiding me, it would only be possible via online means; however, I don't think that should be too much of a challenge because the format of the projects is such that my mentor gives me certain tasks (for instance, reading a few papers and then coming up with equations or code, etc.) and then adding my results to a LaTeX document (on a shared Overleaf document) where he goes through my progress and gives me further work. Therefore, I don't think that this should really be a barrier.

Now, I am wondering if it would be appropriate to ask my mentor for such guidance or am I expecting too much?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any downside to asking. Just be straightforward and honest. Allow him a graceful way to decline, he may have other commitments and such. Some academics dislike teaching and mentoring because it takes time away from their own research, others love it with motivated students. You won't know without asking.

Likes hutchphd and f3sicA_A
f3sicA_A said:
I am an undergraduate Physics student who will just be going to his second year right now. Currently, my summer break is going on and I am interning under the guidance of an Astrophysics professor at a reputed (graduate-level) institute in my country, and I am working on an interesting project (albeit quite basic given how I'm just an undergrad). Even though my project is quite basic, I fin......
Have the faculty members at your current institution their own research interests and you share a small few of them at least? Does the program at the institution you currently attend include and promote (and EXPECT) the students to participate in research?

symbolipoint said:
Have the faculty members at your current institution their own research interests and you share a small few of them at least?
The institution I study at is a Liberal Arts institution rather than a research or tech based institution; irrespective, the Physics faculty at my institution is highly reputed throughout my country (especially the senior professors). Some of the professors do not engage in research and purely enjoy teaching whereas some do engage in research and guide students, and of course, my interests do match with the work of my professors (especially Astronomy/Astrophysics, though I am interested in exploring all sorts of fields). The entire problem is that I am an inexperienced undergrad student and so I don't have much to base my credibility off of. Let's be entirely honest, any professor that even considers giving me a position in a project would do so as a favour.

Given this, I want to make the most out of any sort of guidance I receive; therefore, given an opportunity to work with a professor (although a different institution), I want to make the most out of this opportunity because I can't be too sure about receiving other kinds of opportunities.

Does the program at the institution you currently attend include and promote (and EXPECT) the students to participate in research?

I am guessing you're referring to the institution I am currently interning at? No, it is entirely up to the discretion of the professor. The professor I am currently working with, this is my second time working with him and I had worked with him in the winter before this. During the winter (my first ever internship), it was a very basic paper reading project; however, this time, over the summer, I have more time to work so he has given me a proper research project (again, nothing too fancy by any means, but still a big deal for an undergrad like me).

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
DaveE said:
I don't see any downside to asking. Just be straightforward and honest. Allow him a graceful way to decline, he may have other commitments and such. Some academics dislike teaching and mentoring because it takes time away from their own research, others love it with motivated students. You won't know without asking.
Thank you for the advice! What I was unsure of for the most part was whether it would appropriate for an undergrad like me to expect a professor to guide me to this extent, especially given how busy professors are usually; however, I suppose going in with a blank mind not 'expecting' a particular result and accepting whatever I receive from my mentor is the most appropriate way of going about it!

1. What should I include in my initial email to a professor about a potential project?

When reaching out to a professor about a project, it is important to include your name, your academic background, and a brief explanation of your research interests. You should also mention how you found out about the professor's work and why you are interested in collaborating with them.

2. How should I address the professor in my email?

It is best to address the professor with their proper title, such as "Dr." or "Professor", followed by their last name. Using their first name without their permission may come across as disrespectful.

3. Is it appropriate to ask a professor for a project in person?

Yes, it is appropriate to approach a professor in person to inquire about a project. However, make sure to schedule an appointment or attend their office hours to ensure they have time to speak with you.

4. How do I express my interest in working on a specific project with a professor?

When expressing your interest in a specific project, it is important to explain why you find the project intriguing and how it aligns with your research interests. You can also mention any relevant skills or experiences that make you a good fit for the project.

5. Should I include my resume or CV in my initial email to a professor?

It is not necessary to include your resume or CV in your initial email, but you can mention that you have one available upon request. It may be more appropriate to wait until the professor expresses interest in working with you before sending your resume or CV.