Register to reply

What is the action of acetylcholine and anticholinesterase. Confused

Share this thread:
sameeralord
Sep18-12, 01:42 AM
P: 640
Hello everyone,

Ok Acetylchlone is released from postganglionic parasympathetic fibres and preganglionic nerve fibres of both sympathetic and parasympathetic nerves. It also cause muscle contraction in neuromuscular junction. So anticholinesterase would increase acetylcholine level---> Now what would be the effects of increased acetylcholine. Ok I understand parasympathetic activity would be increased, but if lots of acetylcholine is there in preganglionic nerve fibres of sympathetic fibres now, shouldn't sympathetic activity also increase. So what is the final effect.Also in anticholinesterase poisoning what are the clinical effects. I can't work it out because of my previous confusion. Is is like pupillary constriction and bronchoconstriction if parasympathetic predominates. Also increased muscle contraction. Also if I use anticholinesterase in combination with a competitive agonist and neuromuscular blocking agent such as tubocurarine would this decrease the action of tubercurine, because now it has compete with acetylcholine.

Thanks for help in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Imaging identifies asymptomatic people at risk for stroke
Dental and nutrition experts call for radical rethink on free sugars intake
Study shows consumption of high-fat dairy products is associated with a lower risk of developing diabetes
mazinse
Sep18-12, 03:28 PM
P: 190
first high acetylcholine levels would be at the end organ level, not junction.

The effects of overdose is exactly like you said, plus a couple of other ones you can probably find onlline
sameeralord
Sep19-12, 08:57 AM
P: 640
Quote Quote by mazinse View Post
first high acetylcholine levels would be at the end organ level, not junction.

The effects of overdose is exactly like you said, plus a couple of other ones you can probably find onlline
Hey thanks for taking your time to help But could u please elaborate when you say "first high acetylcholine levels would be at the end organ level, not junction." Does this mean that if i give a cholinergic drugs (acetylcholine agonists), they will travel through the blood stream and reach the organs first, so by the time they reach nerve junctions there concentration would be very low hence minimum sympathetic activity.

mazinse
Sep19-12, 03:28 PM
P: 190
What is the action of acetylcholine and anticholinesterase. Confused

yeah thats what i am thinking, especially since acetylcholine's half life isnt that long to begin with.

Register to reply