Can EPROMs Be Effective UV Light Detectors?

In summary: EPROM to UV light will cause it to lose bits over time. That's something that I was curious about and I decided to do some experiments to find out for sure. When I exposed an EPROM to UV light, I found that the bitcount would fluctuate a lot. It didn't seem to matter how long I exposed the EPROM to UV light, the bitcount would always fluctuate. I was also curious about what would happen if I covered the EPROM with aluminum. After covering the EPROM with aluminum, I found that the bitcount wouldn't fluctuate as much. I think that the bitcount is sensitive to light because when I expose the
ruudlustig
Using an EPROM as a UV detector.

I was planning to make a UV meter using an EPROM. The idea was that ultraviolet light erases an EPROM. When a fully programmed EPROM (all zero's) is exposed to uv light I should clearly see the number of bits (one's) increasing.
So I have built a small device that counts the number of bits (one's) in an EPROM.
I had guessed that the speed of increase of bits would certainly be a measure of the UV intensity.
But...
When exposing the EPROM to uv-light I expected a smooth and stable increase of bits, but that didn't happen. In stead, after some time of exposure to uv-light the bitcount begins to vary very much and it seems that the bits (all Floating Gate devices) become unstable.

Knowing that the bits become unstable, I covered the EPROM window with aluminium and watched what would happen. Not to my surprise the bitcount kept varying (I measure 64k bit 4 times per second). I have a built in threshold of 50 counts, and everytime 2 measurements have a difference of 50 of more I show a flash on a LED.
And it is flasing very randomly between 20 to 60 flashes per minute. Now my question is: What is it exactly what I measure? I don't know much about uv or radiation, so perhaps you can help me out?

Engineering news on Phys.org
ruudlustig said:
Using an EPROM as a UV detector.

I was planning to make a UV meter using an EPROM. The idea was that ultraviolet light erases an EPROM. When a fully programmed EPROM (all zero's) is exposed to uv light I should clearly see the number of bits (one's) increasing.
So I have built a small device that counts the number of bits (one's) in an EPROM.
I had guessed that the speed of increase of bits would certainly be a measure of the UV intensity.
But...
When exposing the EPROM to uv-light I expected a smooth and stable increase of bits, but that didn't happen. In stead, after some time of exposure to uv-light the bitcount begins to vary very much and it seems that the bits (all Floating Gate devices) become unstable.

Knowing that the bits become unstable, I covered the EPROM window with aluminium and watched what would happen. Not to my surprise the bitcount kept varying (I measure 64k bit 4 times per second). I have a built in threshold of 50 counts, and everytime 2 measurements have a difference of 50 of more I show a flash on a LED.
And it is flasing very randomly between 20 to 60 flashes per minute. Now my question is: What is it exactly what I measure? I don't know much about uv or radiation, so perhaps you can help me out?

Welcome to the PF.

Interesting experiment. If you expose it to enough UV for long enough, do all the bits erase? What is your UV source? If you look at the datasheet for the windowed EPROM, does it give data for the amount of UV radiation needed to ensure erasure?

I think you are measuring some random fluctuations and the noise of the power source.

As the floating gate of a bit depletes, the output of the FET will become undetermined and extreme sensitive to any (fast) external effect during readout.

EPROMs are not the best choice for this kind of experiment, as the capacity of the floating gate is relatively high (causes low sensitivity) and the programming voltage gives a wavelength barrier for the sensitivity (through the thickness of the insulation of the floating gate). Also, the state-sensing is not linear: it has a kind of comparator like characteristics.

Sometimes it's possible to get some old-old DRAM chips on ceramic carrier with metal caps. After removing the cap they might be sensitive for light and their bits has lower electric capacity than the floating gates of the EPROMs. (In exchange they might be sensitive to visible light too, and the readout also works as a refresh cycle - it makes things a bit difficult.) Maybe they worth a try.

Or, maybe a linear CCD sensor from some old scanner might be useful too...

Last edited:
Hi Berkeman,
Normally, a programmed EPROM will show a steady and constant bitcount (it should be of course).
I use my EPROM eraser with a 4W uv lamp. Normally an EPROM is erased in about 10 minutes. When I expose long enough, the EPROM erases completely.
Currently, I have erased about 40k bits of my 65k bit EPROM.
The measurement shows that the bitcount is also sensitive for normal sunlight, that is, the the more light, the more heavily the bitcounts fluctuate, but on average the number of erased bits stays constant.

I am also thinking of measuring the effects of using just one bit, or a number of adjacent bits. and Hi Rive:
It is just an experiment to see if uv measurement is possible using an EPROM and I don't have very high expectations. But because of the instability of the bits I would imagine that any form of radiation would affect the bitcount. On the other hand, I am sure you are right, also power fluctuations will have effects. So, maybe I have just built myself a (bad) random generator?

However, I am convinced that with the use of statistics, it must be possible to extract data from the measurements that make some sense.

I would first commend you on your innovative idea of using an EPROM as a UV detector. However, it seems that you have encountered some unexpected results in your experiment. Let's delve into the possible explanations for the instability of the bits in your EPROM.

Firstly, it is important to understand that EPROMs are not designed to be used as UV detectors. They are designed to store data and are not optimized for detecting UV light. This could explain the unpredictable behavior of the bits when exposed to UV light.

Secondly, UV light can damage electronic components, including EPROMs. The floating gate devices in an EPROM are sensitive to UV light and prolonged exposure can cause them to become unstable. This could explain the varying bitcount and the random flashing of the LED.

Additionally, there may be other forms of radiation present in your experiment that could be affecting the behavior of the EPROM. For example, X-rays can also cause damage to electronic components and could be contributing to the instability of the bits.

In order to accurately measure UV intensity, it would be best to use a dedicated UV detector that is designed specifically for this purpose. These detectors are calibrated to accurately measure UV light and are not susceptible to the same issues as an EPROM.

In conclusion, while your idea of using an EPROM as a UV detector is creative, it may not be the most reliable method for measuring UV intensity. I would recommend exploring other options and techniques for accurately measuring UV light in your experiment.

1. What is EPROM and how does it measure UV light?

EPROM stands for erasable programmable read-only memory. It is a type of memory chip that can be programmed and erased multiple times. EPROMs are used in UV light measurement devices to detect and measure UV light levels. When exposed to UV light, the EPROM chip is programmed with a specific pattern, which can then be read and interpreted to determine the intensity of the UV light.

2. How accurate is EPROM in measuring UV light?

EPROMs are highly accurate in measuring UV light. They have a wide dynamic range and can measure UV light from very low to very high intensities. Additionally, EPROMs have a fast response time, allowing for real-time measurements of UV light levels.

3. Can EPROM measure different types of UV light?

Yes, EPROMs can measure different types of UV light including UVA, UVB, and UVC. The chip can be programmed to respond to specific wavelengths of UV light, allowing for accurate measurement of different types of UV light.

4. How do you calibrate an EPROM for UV light measurement?

EPROMs require periodic calibration to ensure accurate UV light measurements. This can be done by exposing the chip to known UV light sources and adjusting the programming accordingly. Some EPROMs also have built-in calibration features that can be used to verify the accuracy of the measurements.

5. What are the benefits of using EPROM for UV light measurement?

EPROMs are a reliable and cost-effective option for measuring UV light. They have a long lifespan and do not require frequent replacement. Additionally, EPROMs can be easily integrated into different types of UV light measurement devices, making them a versatile choice for scientists and researchers.