Multi Colored Hair

by Bartholomew
Tags: colored, hair, multi
Bartholomew
Feb19-05, 11:38 AM
P: 613
What causes natural multicolored hair? For example, I have dark brown hair on my head, a dark brown beard that also has orange places, a blonde moustache, and a pure white tuft of hair beneath my lower lip.
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Chickens to chili peppers: Scientists search for the first genetic engineers
The malaria pathogen's cellular skeleton under a super-microscope
Deadly human pathogen Cryptococcus fully sequenced
suarez_05
Dec31-08, 02:29 AM
P: 1
Hi, I have multi colored hair too, and i have light brown, dark brown, blonde, and some reddish... I have been looking for answers too, but i just cant find anything.. I really do hope you can find an answer though :)
Monique
Dec31-08, 07:32 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,612
I has to do with the expression levels of genes that code for the pigments. I don't think it is really known why this varies (some people change hair color over time).

Borek
Dec31-08, 08:30 AM
Admin
P: 22,669

Multi Colored Hair

Is there a gene for a green hair?

I was a light blond (pig blond as we call it in Polish) as a kid, since then my hair got darker and darker and rarer and rarer.
jim mcnamara
Dec31-08, 09:37 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,354
The Lyon hypothesis is used to explain patchiness in hair and fur color, too.

Another explanation sometimes offered is that the person is a chimera, which can occur in fraternal twins. Chimera means the person has two different sets of DNA in distinct tissue types.
jim mcnamara
Dec31-08, 09:41 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,354
Borek -
Natural Green hair only occurs only in human-christmas ornament chimeras.... You seem to be the only extant example. There is no green gene.

Polar bears have hollow hair follicles that allow single celled green algae to grow inside the hair shaft itself. Polar bears that swim a lot make for "green" polar bears during the Summer. Maybe you have hollow follicles and swim every day too?

Register to reply