How Electrodes in salt solution can increase the electric potential

In summary: I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I am trying to understand how placing electrodes in the brain elicits action potentials.In a neuron (brain cell), there exists a solution of sodium and potassium ions (among other things). When the brain wants to produce an action potential (electrical spike), the neuron brings in a lot of sodium ions from the outside to make the neuron more positive. It is this positive depolarization that starts an action potential. To artificially simulate this process, we place electrodes on the neuron. My question is how is an electrode able to increase the potential?From what I understand, electrodes can only supply a current of electrons (negatively charged). However
Lucid Dreamer
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I am trying to understand how placing electrodes in the brain elicits action potentials.

In a neuron (brain cell), there exists a solution of sodium and potassium ions (among other things). When the brain wants to produce an action potential (electrical spike), the neuron brings in a lot of sodium ions from the outside to make the neuron more positive. It is this positive depolarization that starts an action potential. To artificially simulate this process, we place electrodes on the neuron. My question is how is an electrode able to increase the potential? From what I understand, electrodes can only supply a current of electrons (negatively charged).

EDIT: A lot of papers refer to "injecting current in a cell." I don't understand what that means as you would need an acceptor of electorons within the cell (or a donor)

Thank you

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Lucid Dreamer said:
From what I understand, electrodes can only supply a current of electrons (negatively charged).
An electrode can also be positively charged with respect to some other thing, meaning it would remove electrons from it.

Regardless, I also don't know exactly how conventional electricity causes neurons to fire, but I surmise it is really only acting on the cell membrane, itself, pushing it over the threshold where the ion channels open and allow the sodium ions into the cell.

The ion channels are "voltage gated":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage-gated_ion_channel

so I surmise this outside source of voltage artificially opens them.

Yeah, the only way I can think of right now is that it creates a local depolarization. So if the electrode were charged positive, it would attract many negatively charged ions, thus leaving the surroundings positively polarized.

But I have a feeling that's wrong. I know that electrodes are commonly placed within the cytoplasm, so it's not just acting on the membrane. I suspect that electrons from the electrode are transferred to positive ions in the cytoplasm, thus leaving a net negative charge. But I don't know.

Lucid Dreamer said:
Yeah, the only way I can think of right now is that it creates a local depolarization. So if the electrode were charged positive, it would attract many negatively charged ions, thus leaving the surroundings positively polarized.

But I have a feeling that's wrong. I know that electrodes are commonly placed within the cytoplasm, so it's not just acting on the membrane. I suspect that electrons from the electrode are transferred to positive ions in the cytoplasm, thus leaving a net negative charge. But I don't know.

It's not a matter of "acting on the membrane". The membrane is just an insulator (an almost perfect one) between the inside of the cell and the outside, with a bunch of proteins embedded in the surface; it's the potential difference across the membrane that determines the electrical behaviour of the neuron. If you make the inside of the cell positive enough (in the right circumstances), then you'll provoke the opening of the sodium channels, and the electrical gradient will take care of the rest.

Number Nine said:
If you make the inside of the cell positive enough (in the right circumstances)

Yes and how does sticking an electrode within the neuron achieve this. I understand the concept of depolarization, but I am more interested in the particular details leading to the state of depolarization.

The neuron contains a salt solution of sodium ions, potassium ions, calcium ions, chlorine ions, etc. Placing an electrode into this salt solution should allow for the transfer of electrons from one substance to another. I am interested in this mechanism.

1. How do electrodes in salt solution increase electric potential?

When electrodes are placed in a salt solution, the salt ions in the solution move towards the electrodes. The positive ions (cations) are attracted to the negative electrode, while the negative ions (anions) are attracted to the positive electrode. This separation of charges creates a potential difference between the two electrodes, resulting in an increase in electric potential.

2. Why does the salt solution need to be conductive?

The salt solution needs to be conductive in order for the ions to be able to move freely towards the electrodes. This movement of ions allows for the separation of charges and the increase in electric potential.

3. How does the concentration of salt affect the increase in electric potential?

The concentration of salt in the solution affects the number of ions present, and therefore, the strength of the electric potential. Higher concentrations of salt result in a higher number of ions and a stronger electric potential.

4. Can any type of salt be used in this process?

Yes, any type of salt can be used as long as it is able to dissolve in the solution and create conductive ions. Common types of salts used include table salt (sodium chloride), Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate), and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate).

5. What other factors can affect the increase in electric potential of electrodes in a salt solution?

The surface area and distance between the electrodes can also affect the increase in electric potential. A larger surface area allows for more ions to come into contact with the electrodes, resulting in a stronger potential. A shorter distance between the electrodes also allows for a stronger potential due to the decreased resistance in the solution.