Register to reply

Moore's Law and durability

by CaptainOrange
Tags: durability, moore
Share this thread:
CaptainOrange
Oct25-12, 06:59 AM
P: 9
Hi there, I tried to perform on a search on this forum but couldn't find a thread which answered my question.

Is there any risk or known principles applicable to Moore's Law in terms of physical durability and sustainability of function?

For small devices; would materials degrade faster, break more easily and are they more vulnerable to elements and accidental damage?

I'm just comparing my Iphone 5 and Iphone 4 in each hand. It feels like the Iphone 4 will survive a knock to the floor and being run over by a car, whereas, the iphone 5 seems way to lightweight and feels like I can literally snap the material if I had enough force...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
Ryan_m_b
Oct25-12, 07:23 AM
Mentor
P: 5,403
Is it planned obsolescence in computing that you're after?
Enthalpy
Nov23-12, 07:24 PM
P: 661
Moore's law doesn't work any more for the past 15 years. It used to be "double the size and frequency every year" then they told "it has always been: double the size every 18 months" and since the Core 2 nearly nothing has improved. A few more cores for which I have no use.

If Intel and Amd want to sell new Cpu they would better offer improved performance, not just random incompatible changes in the footprint.

wuliheron
Nov24-12, 02:23 AM
P: 1,967
Moore's Law and durability

Moore's law doesn't apply to handheld phones, only integrated circuits.

Register to reply