Photo of Jupiter's moons with cellphone

by Gliese123
Tags: jupiter, moons, photo
Share this thread:
Gliese123
Oct26-12, 03:47 PM
P: 141
Hi there!
Well, it's not just a photo taken by a cellphone but a cellphone plus a very good binocular. And as surprised as I became by being able to see the moons of Jupiter, I took a photo of them through, yes through the binocular. The result is what you see on the picture. And I wanted to compare so I viewed Stellarium and saw that it more or less looked the same. Just wanted to share it with you guys. Hope you like it :

Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Transiting exoplanet with longest known year
Mysterious dance of dwarfs may force a cosmic rethink
Study shows oceans vital for possibility for alien life
Drakkith
Oct26-12, 08:54 PM
Mentor
P: 11,473
Not bad for a cellphone and binoculars!
Bobbywhy
Oct26-12, 09:49 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,880
Gliese123! Cool!

Gliese123
Oct27-12, 06:42 AM
Photo of Jupiter's moons with cellphone

Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
Not bad for a cellphone and binoculars!
Gliese123
Oct27-12, 06:42 AM
Quote Quote by Bobbywhy View Post
Gliese123! Cool!
Thanks a lot :D
Byron Chen
Oct27-12, 07:00 AM
P: 29
Quote Quote by Gliese123 View Post
I wouldn't even have thought of trying that!
Gliese123
Oct27-12, 08:08 AM
Quote Quote by Byron Chen View Post
Hah. Well you should try. It's really cool. It works especially good on Gas giants. Saturn & Titan is also available to see with a fairly cheep binocular when possible.
Although, make sure that there's no light pollution since it disturbs a lot. :) My binocular just have 30 x zoom :)

This is done by the same principle but of the Moon :) 30x zoom :)
Byron Chen
Oct27-12, 08:11 AM
Hah. Well you should try. It's really cool. It works especially good on Gas giants. Saturn & Titan is also available to see with a fairly cheep binocular when possible.
Although, make sure that there's no light pollution since it disturbs a lot. :) My binocular just have 30 x zoom :)
Haha, wish I could. But I live in a city, it is quite bright and cloudy :(
Gliese123
Oct27-12, 09:21 AM
Hm well, that's unfortunate I live practically nowhere No light pollution. ~50 km to nearest city ;)
Drakkith
Oct27-12, 02:33 PM
Mentor
Here's my picture of Jupiter from the night of the Oct 12.
I have a telescope and astrophotography camera, but not one designed to do planets, otherwise it might be a bit better. Stacked 10 frames of each color in RGB.
You probably can't see them on this picture, but in the original frames a couple of moons are barely visible. It's hard to make them stand out when your exposures have to be short so Jupiter isn't washed out.
It came out surprisingly good considering I up-sampled it by 200% when stacking, and then another 200% after stacking, so the original images are 1/4 the resolution.
Attached Thumbnails
Jupiter Oct 12.jpg  
Drakkith
Oct27-12, 02:38 PM
Mentor
The brightness of the planets is so high that anyone in any city could easily see them and get pictures. (With the exception of Neptune and Uranus) Clouds on the other hand...
Gliese123
Oct27-12, 03:18 PM
Here's my picture of Jupiter from the night of the Oct 12.
I have a telescope and astrophotography camera, but not one designed to do planets, otherwise it might be a bit better. Stacked 10 frames of each color in RGB.
You probably can't see them on this picture, but in the original frames a couple of moons are barely visible. It's hard to make them stand out when your exposures have to be short so Jupiter isn't washed out.
It came out surprisingly good considering I up-sampled it by 200% when stacking, and then another 200% after stacking, so the original images are 1/4 the resolution.
Now that's extraordinary! How would it looks like if you tried Saturn? I assume that one could easily see the rings if so :)
Drakkith
Oct27-12, 03:52 PM
Mentor
Now that's extraordinary! How would it looks like if you tried Saturn? I assume that one could easily see the rings if so :)
Like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Saturn.jpg  
Byron Chen
Oct27-12, 08:23 PM
The brightness of the planets is so high that anyone in any city could easily see them and get pictures. (With the exception of Neptune and Uranus) Clouds on the other hand...
That's my problem, there is too much clouds in my area. Whenever I look out at night, I usually cant see a thing, not even the brightest stars or planets :(
Drakkith
Oct27-12, 10:12 PM
Mentor
That's my problem, there is too much clouds in my area. Whenever I look out at night, I usually cant see a thing, not even the brightest stars or planets :(
Well, nothing anyone can do about that. You'll just have to move asap!
SHISHKABOB
Oct28-12, 12:33 AM
P: 614
those pictures are SO COOL! especially how you can *actually see* the moons!
Byron Chen
Oct28-12, 06:36 AM
Well, nothing anyone can do about that. You'll just have to move asap!
Haha, luckily I'm going on vacation to the countryside soon, so that would give me a couple of good nights if it doesn't rain :)
russ_watters
Oct28-12, 06:52 AM
Mentor
P: 22,212
Then prepare to have your mind blown: http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotog...2/p/101445.uts

Register to reply