Ice inside the sun

by nefertum
Tags: inside
nefertum
Nov3-12, 01:52 AM
P: 1
i understand that this may seem like a impossible theory but is it possible that ice could form inside a sun, i understand that the core of a sun is extremly hot but due to the incredible pressures invovled could hydrogen or another gas be compressed so much that it could form ice?
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Computers beat brainpower when it comes to counting stars
The changing laws that determine how dust affects the light that reaches us from the stars
ESO image: A study in scarlet
dipole
Nov3-12, 01:58 AM
P: 418
Not the Sun, the temperatures are too extreme. But in Jupiter and similar pressures hydrogen becomes metallic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_hydrogen
Borek
Nov3-12, 03:36 AM
Admin
P: 22,665
Quote Quote by nefertum View Post
i understand that this may seem like a impossible theory but is it possible that ice could form inside a sun, i understand that the core of a sun is extremly hot but due to the incredible pressures invovled could hydrogen or another gas be compressed so much that it could form ice?
At that high temperatures there are no compounds, they decompose at several thousands degrees to the elements. So - assuming by ice you mean solidified water - there is no water to begin with.

symbolipoint
Nov3-12, 02:13 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,692

Ice inside the sun

Quote Quote by nefertum View Post
That would be known as, "A snowball's chance in hell".
sophiecentaur
Nov5-12, 11:55 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,352
Makes me think of Baked Alaska.

Register to reply