Heat transfer between two cylinders

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where two cylinders are placed within each other, with the annular space between them filled with air. The outer cylinder has a large cut out and the inner cylinder is maintained at a temperature of 200 deg C. The modes of heat transfer for the inner cylinder are convection and radiation. The question posed is how to determine the temperature rise on the inner surface of the outer cylinder and the increase in ambient temperature due to convection and radiation from the cut out. The conversation also mentions the use of finite element analysis to solve this problem.
sriram123
Imagine two cylinders in which one cylinder in within another.(Please refer attachment)

The annular space between the two cylinders is filled with air.

The outer cylinder is provided with a substantially large cut out

The inner cylinder is maintained at a temperature say 200 deg c

I know that for the inner cylinder,the convection and radiation will be the modes of heat transfer.

My question is how can i find the temperature rise of inner surface of outer cylinder.

Also how to find the increase in ambient temperature due to the convection and radiation from the cut out.

This is to improve my conceptual understanding.Actually this kind of heat transfer happens in vulcanization moulds.

Attachments

• forum5.jpg
    forum5.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 437
  • forum3.jpg
    forum3.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 366
  • forum2.jpg
    forum2.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 391
Science news on Phys.org
Is my question unclear ?

Why do you neglect the transfer through conduction? I mean, through that base plate.
Just curious.
I don't think you can find some analytical solution for this. You can use finite element analysis.

What is heat transfer between two cylinders?

Heat transfer between two cylinders refers to the process of thermal energy being transferred from one cylindrical object to another due to a temperature difference. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

What factors affect heat transfer between two cylinders?

The rate of heat transfer between two cylinders is influenced by several factors, including the temperature difference between the two cylinders, the material and thickness of the cylinders, the surface area of contact, and the presence of any insulating materials.

How is heat transfer between two cylinders calculated?

The rate of heat transfer between two cylinders can be calculated using the equation Q=U x A x ΔT, where Q is the heat transfer rate, U is the overall heat transfer coefficient, A is the surface area of contact, and ΔT is the temperature difference between the two cylinders.

What are some applications of heat transfer between two cylinders?

Heat transfer between two cylinders is commonly used in various industries, including heating and cooling systems, power generation, and thermal management in manufacturing processes. It is also essential in daily life for activities such as cooking and heating water.

How can heat transfer between two cylinders be improved?

To improve heat transfer between two cylinders, you can increase the surface area of contact, reduce the distance between the cylinders, use materials with higher thermal conductivity, and insulate the cylinders to minimize heat loss.