Register to reply

Conservation of momentum continous mass flow freight cart.

by BareFootKing
Tags: cart, conservation, continous, flow, freight, mass, momentum
Share this thread:
BareFootKing
Nov5-12, 04:32 PM
P: 31
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I am having difficulty understanding why in 2.1 Worked Example Coal Car on page 3 One can use the initial time as time = 0, but 2.2 Worked example on page 4 they start the initial time at an arbitrary time t.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
BareFootKing
Nov5-12, 04:36 PM
because in the second example if you start with the initial time =0 then the initial momentum is zero because it is initially at rest and this simplifies the second example to a solutions similar to the first. But that is wrong.
haruspex
Nov6-12, 03:04 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,645
your two links point to the same page, and I can't see anything there that matches either description.

BareFootKing
Nov6-12, 09:57 AM
Conservation of momentum continous mass flow freight cart.

Thank you I put up the wrong link. Here is the correct link:
haruspex
Nov6-12, 03:42 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,645
In each case they start at t=0. In 2.2 they also consider some arbitrary later time t and an interval δt from there. That is normal when deriving differential equations. In 2.1 they did not need to do that; they could solve the problem just by considering t=0 and t=tf and applying conservation of momentum. Whether such an approach was available in 2.2 I've not tried to analyse.

Register to reply