How to alternate 2 flip flops with 2 clocks?

• Thread starter johny radio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clocks
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of driving two flip-flops, F1 and F2, using two different clocks, C1 and C2. When C1 goes high, F1 is driven high and F2 is driven low. When C2 goes high, F2 is driven high and F1 is driven low. If both C1 and C2 go high at the same time, C2 takes precedence. The conversation concludes by requesting for the implementation of this process, including a truth table, state transition map, and Karnaugh map.
johny radio
Hello

I've got two flip-flops, F1 and F2.
And a clock C1. Every time the C1 goes High, it should drive F1 high and F2 low.
There's a slower clock, C2. When C2 goes High, it should drive F2 high and F1 low.
If C1 and C2 go high at the same time, C2 wins.

How to do this?

Thank You.

Engineering news on Phys.org
johny radio said:
Hello

I've got two flip-flops, F1 and F2.
And a clock C1. Every time the C1 goes High, it should drive F1 high and F2 low.
There's a slower clock, C2. When C2 goes High, it should drive F2 high and F1 low.
If C1 and C2 go high at the same time, C2 wins.

How to do this?

Thank You.

Truth table, state transition map, Karnaugh map, implementation. Please show us your work. :-)

1. How do I connect two flip flops with two clocks?

In order to alternate two flip flops with two clocks, you need to connect both flip flops to each other's clock inputs. This will ensure that both flip flops are synchronized and alternate their states according to the two clocks.

2. How do I choose which flip flop will receive the first clock signal?

This can be determined by the clock signal's polarity. If the first flip flop has a positive edge triggered clock input, then it will receive the first clock signal. If the second flip flop has a negative edge triggered clock input, then it will receive the first clock signal.

3. Can I use any type of flip flop for this circuit?

Yes, you can use any type of flip flop for this circuit as long as they have compatible clock inputs. However, it is recommended to use the same type of flip flop to ensure proper synchronization and compatibility.

4. How do I ensure that the flip flops are alternating properly?

You can test the circuit by providing clock signals to each flip flop and observing the outputs. If the outputs are alternating correctly, then the circuit is functioning as intended. You can also use a logic analyzer or oscilloscope to monitor the clock and output signals.

5. Can I use this circuit for more than two flip flops?

Yes, this circuit can be expanded to accommodate more than two flip flops. You will need to connect each flip flop's clock input to the previous flip flop's output. This will ensure that all flip flops are synchronized and alternate their states according to the clocks.