Acceleration of a curved trajectory

by Fyreth
Tags: acceleration, curved, trajectory
Fyreth
Nov12-12, 05:46 AM
P: 8
Feynman_Lectures_on_Physics_Volume_1_Chapter_11

In paragraph 11-6 he says that the tangent acceleration is the change of speed v but if I look at fig. 11-8 the change in speed is slightly smaller than the change in tangent velocity. (I drew a circle with the radius of the speed of v_I that has it's middle in the origin of the vectors mentally.) I assume he just neglects that difference but I don't really understand the idea of neglecting certain things. What things can you neglect and what not?
He also says that the acceleration at right angles to the curve is the magnitude of the velocity times the change in angle. The magnitude of which velocity? v_I or v_II? How can you just multiply speed with an angle? I know you can if you use sine, cosine or something like that but multiply it with an angle directly?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Information storage for the next generation of plastic computers
Scientists capture ultrafast snapshots of light-driven superconductivity
Progress in the fight against quantum dissipation
mfb
Nov12-12, 08:25 AM
Mentor
P: 10,767
You can neglect things which go to 0 quicker than your relevant effect, if the time-step goes to 0. In other words, everything where effectsize/timestep goes to 0 as timestep goes to 0.

In general, your post looks confusing to me, therefore the very general answer.

Register to reply