Centripetal acceleration derivation

In summary: For someone like me who hasn't read the rest of the book, it's a bit confusing. But thanks for the explanation!In summary, Feynman's "Six Not-So-Easy Pieces" explains the derivation of a=v^2/r, where the other component of acceleration is calculated using Figures 1-7 and 1-8. This is achieved by multiplying an angle by speed to get velocity and dividing an angle by time, then multiplying it by speed to get acceleration. This is a special case of the general Frenet-Serret formula, which is valid for any spatial curve and takes one line to deduce. However, without prior knowledge of the theory, the derivation may be confusing.
Andreas C
Ok, so I'm a bit confused by the derivation of a=v^2/r in Feynman's "Six Not-So-Easy Pieces".

In pages 17-18, it is stated that "The other component of acceleration, at right angles to the curve, is easy to calculate, using Figures 1-7 and 1-8. In the short time Δt let the change in angle between v1 and v2 be the small angle Δθ. If the magnitude of the velocity is called v, then of course Δv ┴ = vΔθ and the acceleration a will be a┴ = v(Δθ/Δt).".

1) What velocity does he refer to by v?
2) How can he multiply Δθ (an angle) by v (a magnitude of a velocity)?
3) (Probably the same as 2) How can he divide Δθ by Δt?

I haven't read the rest of the book, so maybe that's where the answer is? I don't know, it seems very weird.

Physics news on Phys.org
Andreas C said:
1) What velocity does he refer to by v?
the net resultant velocity

Andreas C said:
2) How can he multiply Δθ (an angle) by v (a magnitude of a velocity)?
the same you multiply mass by acceleration to get force
Andreas C said:
3) (Probably the same as 2) How can he divide Δθ by Δt?
same way you divide distance by time to get speed

hackhard said:
the net resultant velocitythe same you multiply mass by acceleration to get force

same way you divide distance by time to get speed

Yeah, but he multiplies speed by an angle, and he gets velocity! How? And then he divides an angle with time, and multiplies it by speed, and gets acceleration!

An angle is a ratio of two length and thus itself dimensionless, namely arclength of the section of a circle divided by the radius of the circle. So any quantity multiplied by an angle is another quantity with the same dimension as the one you multiplied with the angle.

Ah, I think I am beginning to understand! So this angle would be measured in radians, not degrees, right? But what does this achieve though? What does multiplying an angle by speed achieve in this context?

When you rotate the radius by an angle θ, the arc described by the tip of the radius is s=Rθ.
Here the radius is v and the angle is very small so the cord and the arc are assumed the same thing.

New_Bitmap_Image.png

$$\triangle{v(\bot)}=\sqrt{v1^{2}+v2^{2}-2\cdot{v1}\cdot{v2}\cdot{cos(\triangle\theta)}}\cdot{cos(\triangle\theta/2)}$$
=$$\sqrt{2v^{2}-2v^{2}\cdot{cos(\triangle\theta)}}\sqrt{\frac{1+cos(\triangle\theta)}{2}}$$
=$$v\sqrt{1-{cos(\triangle\theta)}^{2}}$$
=$$v\cdot{sin(\triangle\theta)}$$
=$$v\triangle\theta$$

Likes Andreas C
Oh thanks, I get it now!

speaking as adults when kids have gone to bed... :)

Let ##\boldsymbol r=\boldsymbol r(s)## be the space curve parameterized by arc-length parameter ##s##. And let ##\boldsymbol{T}(s),\boldsymbol{N}(s),\boldsymbol{B}(s)## be the Frenet frame. By ##\kappa(s),\tau(s)## denote the curvature and torsion respectively. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frenet–Serret_formulas
Assume that a point ##A## moves on the curve and its law of motion is ##s=s(t)##.

Theorem. The acceleration of the point ##A## is given by the formula ##\boldsymbol a_A=\ddot s\boldsymbol T+\dot s^2\kappa\boldsymbol{N}.##

(It follows immediately from the Frenet-Serret formulas by differentiating the following equality ##\boldsymbol v_A=\dot r=\dot s\boldsymbol T.##

hackhard said:
New_Bitmap_Image.png

$$\triangle{v(\bot)}=\sqrt{v1^{2}+v2^{2}-2\cdot{v1}\cdot{v2}\cdot{cos(\triangle\theta)}}\cdot{cos(\triangle\theta/2)}$$
=$$\sqrt{2v^{2}-2v^{2}\cdot{cos(\triangle\theta)}}\sqrt{\frac{1+cos(\triangle\theta)}{2}}$$
=$$v\sqrt{1-{cos(\triangle\theta)}^{2}}$$
=$$v\cdot{sin(\triangle\theta)}$$
=$$v\triangle\theta$$
Note that it is a rule on the Forums to give hints and not full solutions.

wrobel said:
speaking as adults when kids have gone to bed... :)

Let ##\boldsymbol r=\boldsymbol r(s)## be the space curve parameterized by arc-length parameter ##s##. And let ##\boldsymbol{T}(s),\boldsymbol{N}(s),\boldsymbol{B}(s)## be the Frenet frame. By ##\kappa(s),\tau(s)## denote the curvature and torsion respectively. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frenet–Serret_formulas
Assume that a point ##A## moves on the curve and its law of motion is ##s=s(t)##.

Theorem. The acceleration of the point ##A## is given by the formula ##\boldsymbol a_A=\ddot s\boldsymbol T+\dot s^2\kappa\boldsymbol{N}.##

(It follows immediately from the Frenet-Serret formulas by differentiating the following equality ##\boldsymbol v_A=\dot r=\dot s\boldsymbol T.##

Uh... I have no idea what you just said, but thanks I guess...

nrqed said:
Note that it is a rule on the Forums to give hints and not full solutions.

It is? Why?

Andreas C said:
Uh... I have no idea what you just said, but thanks I guess...
I said that the formula you are trying to derive is a special case of the general fact which is valid for any spatial curve not only for circle. And it takes one line to deduce that general formula

Last edited:
wrobel said:
I said that the formula you are trying to derive is a special case of the general fact which is valid for any spatial curve not only for circle. And it takes one line to deduce that general formula

Ah ok. But it only takes one line given that you know the rest of the theory behind it.

What is centripetal acceleration and why is it important?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is important because it allows us to understand the forces acting on objects in circular motion, such as the force of gravity that keeps planets in orbit around the sun.

What is the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration?

The formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

How is centripetal acceleration derived?

Centripetal acceleration can be derived using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. By setting the force of gravity equal to the centripetal force, we can solve for the acceleration and obtain the formula a = v^2/r.

What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration refers to the acceleration towards the center of the circle, while tangential acceleration refers to the acceleration along the tangent of the circle. Together, these two components make up the total acceleration of an object moving in a circular path.

How does centripetal acceleration relate to centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration is directly related to centripetal force, as they are both directed towards the center of the circle and have the same magnitude. The force of gravity, tension, or any other force that acts as the centripetal force, is responsible for causing the centripetal acceleration of an object.