P: 783
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At time t = 0, a particle is located at the point (1, 2, 3). It travels
in a straight line to the point (4, 1,4), has speed 2 at (1, 2, 3) and
constant acceleration 3i - j + k. Find an equation for the position
vector r(t) of the particle at time t.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
If we integrate the acceleration vector twice, we get the position vector (along with some constants we must determine). Plugging in the initial position vector gives us

[tex] r(t) = <1.5t^{2},-.5t^{2},.5t^{2}> + v_{0}t + <1,2,3>[/tex]

The problem is I don't know how to find the initial velocity. That's all I need to complete the problem. I know the speed at time t=0, but not the velocity. I also know that the particle travels in a straight line, meaning its unit tangent vector is constant and that its motion is nonperiodic, but how does that help?

BiP
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
Ray Vickson
Nov16-12, 03:30 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,079
Quote Quote by Bipolarity View Post

2. Relevant equations

If we integrate the acceleration vector twice, we get the position vector (along with some constants we must determine). Plugging in the initial position vector gives us

The problem is I don't know how to find the initial velocity. That's all I need to complete the problem. I know the speed at time t=0, but not the velocity. I also know that the particle travels in a straight line, meaning its unit tangent vector is constant and that its motion is nonperiodic, but how does that help?

BiP
If a particle travels in a straight line, how are the velocity and acceleration vectors related?

RGV
LCKurtz
Nov16-12, 03:34 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 7,659

2. Relevant equations

BiP
That equation doesn't make any sense because you can't add vectors and scalars. And remember you can always express a velocity vector as the speed times a unit vector in the correct direction.

Bipolarity
Nov16-12, 11:26 PM
P: 783
Particle trajectories

Quote Quote by LCKurtz View Post
That equation doesn't make any sense because you can't add vectors and scalars. And remember you can always express a velocity vector as the speed times a unit vector in the correct direction.
Where in my equation did I add vectors with scalars? Every term in my equation is a position vector...

BiP
haruspex
Nov17-12, 12:05 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,850
the particle travels in a straight line, meaning its unit tangent vector is constant and that its motion is nonperiodic
If it travels in a straight line then its acceleration must always be collinear with the velocity.
LCKurtz
Nov17-12, 04:22 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 7,659

BiP
Quote Quote by LCKurtz View Post
Where in my equation did I add vectors with scalars? Every term in my equation is a position vector...

BiP
Well, you mentioned that the initial speed was 2. Since there was no definition given for ##v_0## and it looks like a scalar, I assumed it was ##2##. And there is no notation to distinguish vectors from scalars, I assumed ##v_0 t## was a scalar.

Register to reply