Register to reply

Magnetic Moment Definition Verification/ Proof

by cubejunkies
Tags: definition, magnetic, moment, proof, verification or
Share this thread:
cubejunkies
Dec10-12, 03:26 PM
P: 34
I saw the equation here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magneti...oop_definition for the definition of the magnetic moment for a non-planar loop. Can someone tell me if there's a name for this equation [itex]m= \frac { I }{ 2 } \int { \overrightarrow { r } } \times d\overrightarrow { r }[/itex], if it's even right, and where I could find a derivation and/or proof of the equation? I've been fumbling over this for several hours now and I've gotten absolutely nowhere. I don't have any access to any texts on the matter, all I have is google and wikipedia at the moment.

Thanks

Anthony
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Jano L.
Dec11-12, 08:26 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,165
It is really just a convenient definition. It assigns to some portion space (where the currents are) a quantity called magnetic moment. The motivation is, we want to find some approximate expression for the magnetic field due to these currents, and it turns out that in large distances, the magnetic moment is sufficient to find it. Try to get and look into D.J. Griffiths, Introduction to electrodynamics, sec. 5.4.3 or J.D. Jackson: Classical Electrodynamics, you should find the details there.
Meir Achuz
Dec12-12, 12:26 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,015
It follows from
[tex]{\bf m}=\frac{1}{2}\int{\bf r\times j}d^3r[/tex]
with the substitution [tex]{\bf j}d^3r\rightarrow I{\bf dr}.[/tex]
The derivation of the j equation takes about one page in an EM textbook.
It is on J. Franklin, "Classical Electromagnetism" on page 212.
Your equation is derived directly on page 210.
You should also know that [tex]\frac{1}{2}\int{\bf r\times dr}=[/tex]
the area of the loop.

andrien
Dec13-12, 07:16 AM
P: 1,020
Magnetic Moment Definition Verification/ Proof

see the page 185 from here,I do not want to copy anything from that.so you can see here
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=8...%20187&f=false

Register to reply