Single phase inverter-current control loop

In summary, it is recommended to use an outer voltage control loop and an inner current control loop when designing a single phase inverter with a DSP. This is because the load plays a role in the dynamics and controlling both voltage and current independently is not possible if the load is unknown.
hisham.i
Hello

I am designing single phase inverter with TMS320LF2406 DSP.

I created sinusoidal output voltage, and now i want to make regulation.

While reading about regulation i found that it is recommended to use outer loop as voltage loop to generate Iref using PI controller, then this Iref is entered to inner loop ( current loop) where its output is entered to another PI controller to generate the PWM duty cycle.

What is the advantage of using the inner current loop? why we cannot only use the voltage control loop to determine the duty cycle?

Regards,

Hisham Issa

Engineering news on Phys.org
That recommendation applies only sometimes.

Since the load participates in the dynamics, then you can't design the controller without consideration of the load. If you don't know what the load wlll be, you could assume just a resistor R. In that case, Ohm's law locks you into V=IR, so you can't control V and I independently.

1. What is a single phase inverter-current control loop?

A single phase inverter-current control loop is a type of control system used in electrical circuits to regulate the output current of a single phase inverter. It is responsible for maintaining a constant and stable output current by continuously adjusting the pulse width of the inverter.

2. How does a single phase inverter-current control loop work?

The control loop consists of a feedback circuit that measures the output current and compares it to a reference value. If there is a difference, the control loop adjusts the pulse width of the inverter to bring the output current back to the desired level.

3. What are the advantages of using a single phase inverter-current control loop?

Using a control loop allows for precise and accurate control of the output current, leading to better efficiency and stability in the electrical circuit. It also allows for dynamic adjustment of the output current to match varying load demands.

4. What are some common applications of a single phase inverter-current control loop?

This type of control loop is commonly used in power systems for renewable energy sources, such as solar panels or wind turbines. It is also used in motor control for appliances, such as refrigerators and air conditioners, to regulate the speed and torque of the motor.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations with a single phase inverter-current control loop?

One potential challenge is the sensitivity of the control loop to noise and interference, which can cause instability in the output current. Additionally, the control loop may not be able to compensate for sudden and large changes in load demand, leading to fluctuations in the output current. Careful design and tuning of the control loop can help mitigate these limitations.