Determine a cable core diameter for RF current carrying loop

In summary, the problem statement is about creating a current-carrying cable loop to generate a controlled magnetic field. The field's strength depends on the current and loop radius, and the goal is to maintain a current of 25.3mA or 8mA with a signal generator that has a maximum output of 13dBm. To increase the resonance frequency, a larger cable diameter is desired, but this also increases power consumption. To determine the maximum cable core diameter that can maintain the specified current levels with the existing signal generator, the reactance of the coil must be controlled. This can be achieved with 3 turns of wire with a diameter of 250mm and spaced slightly to reduce stray capacitance, using wire of about
Bhushan
Basic Question Alert ! (I need to brush up my basics and need your help)

Problem Statement: I wish to make a current carring cable loop to generate a controlled magnetic field. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/curloo.html

As I understand, the magnetic field generated depends on the Current in the loop and Loop radius (Fixed). I wish to maintain the current in the 50ohm loop to 25.3mA and 8mA respectively (ie. we have voltage of 1.26V equivalent to 12-13dBm and 0.4V equivalent to 2-3dBm).

I have a signal generator which can only support max RF output level of 13dBm.

I wish to have a cable diameter as large as possible so that the resonance frequency of the loop is higher. The operating frequency is below 7MHz.

As I understand the choosing a cable with higher cross section reduces the resistance and increases the power consumption. How can I determine the maximum cable core diameter (ie. thicker cable) for the loop cable so that I can maintain specified current levels in the loop with existing signal generator?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bhushan said:
Basic Question Alert ! (I need to brush up my basics and need your help)

Problem Statement: I wish to make a current carring cable loop to generate a controlled magnetic field. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/curloo.html

As I understand, the magnetic field generated depends on the Current in the loop and Loop radius (Fixed). I wish to maintain the current in the 50ohm loop to 25.3mA and 8mA respectively (ie. we have voltage of 1.26V equivalent to 12-13dBm and 0.4V equivalent to 2-3dBm).

I have a signal generator which can only support max RF output level of 13dBm.

I wish to have a cable diameter as large as possible so that the resonance frequency of the loop is higher. The operating frequency is below 7MHz.

As I understand the choosing a cable with higher cross section reduces the resistance and increases the power consumption. How can I determine the maximum cable core diameter (ie. thicker cable) for the loop cable so that I can maintain specified current levels in the loop with existing signal generator?
The easiest way of obtaining a field which is known is to use an untuned loop and rely on the reactance of the coil to control the current. In this case, the resistance of the wire will have only a small effect. If the generator is 50 Ohms and has an EMF of 2 x 1.26 = 2.52V then you need a total impedance of Z = V/I = 2.52/0.0252 = 100 Ohms. The required reactance can be found from the formula X^2 = Z^2 - R^2 = 100^2 - 50^2.
From a rather wobbly memory, such a reactance can be obtained by using about 3 turns of wire about 250mm diameter. Keep the turns spaced slighty to reduce stray capacitance and wire of about 2mm will be suitable.
To find the reactance, place a capacitor of, say, 100pF in series with the loop and see what frequency it resonates at. Then apply the formula for resonant frequency of an LC circuit. F = 1 / 2 pi SQT (LC)
Unless you want to obtain the strongest possible field, I think that for the actual experiment it is better to avoid a loop that is brought to resonance with a capacitor, as it creates difficulties on obtaining 50 Ohms.

What is a cable core diameter?

A cable core diameter refers to the diameter of the central conductor of a cable, which is the part that carries the electrical current. It is typically measured in millimeters or inches.

Why is it important to determine the cable core diameter for an RF current carrying loop?

The cable core diameter is important because it affects the performance of the RF current carrying loop. The diameter of the core can impact factors such as impedance, power handling capability, and signal loss.

How do you determine the cable core diameter for an RF current carrying loop?

The cable core diameter can be determined by calculating the skin depth of the material at the frequency of the RF current. The skin depth is the distance at which the current is reduced to 37% of its surface value. Once the skin depth is known, the core diameter can be calculated using the formula: d = 2 x skin depth.

What factors can affect the choice of cable core diameter for an RF current carrying loop?

The choice of cable core diameter can be affected by factors such as the desired impedance, power handling capability, and frequency range of the RF current. The material of the core and the environment in which the loop will be used can also play a role in determining the optimal diameter.

Can the cable core diameter for an RF current carrying loop be changed after it has been determined?

Yes, the cable core diameter can be changed after it has been determined. However, this may require replacing the entire cable or making significant modifications to the existing loop. It is important to carefully consider all factors and make an informed decision before determining the cable core diameter for an RF current carrying loop.