Register to reply

IYPT question on elastic space and need ideas for a hypothesis to investigate

by vishnu manoj
Tags: elastic, hypothesis, ideas, investigate, iypt, space
Share this thread:
vishnu manoj
Jan5-13, 12:49 PM
P: 13
I am participating in the IYPT and i have encountered a question on elastic space which relates to gravity wells. I need to get a proper hypothesis that can be investigated within realistic parameters. I unable to get any new ideas because i am relatively new to the subject and dont have much to go on. Here's the question-

The dynamics and apparent interactions of massive balls rolling on a stretched
horizontal membrane are often used to illustrate gravitation. Investigate the system
further. Is it possible to define and measure the apparent “gravitational constant” in
such a “world”?

i wanted to know if i could link my hypothesis with the theories of relativity which could be investigated with equipment from a school lab of course and whether you could suggest some other ideas i should investigate my hypothesis on. It does not necessarily have to be related to gravity wells but related in some way to gravity and their interactions with objects with mass, gravity wells is just something i came up with
Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
micromass
Jan5-13, 01:08 PM
Mentor
P: 18,299
Quote Quote by vishnu manoj View Post
I am participating in the IYPT and i have encountered a question on elastic space which relates to gravity wells. I need to get a proper hypothesis that can be investigated within realistic parameters. I unable to get any new ideas because i am relatively new to the subject and dont have much to go on. Here's the question-

The dynamics and apparent interactions of massive balls rolling on a stretched
horizontal membrane are often used to illustrate gravitation. Investigate the system
further. Is it possible to define and measure the apparent “gravitational constant” in
such a “world”?

i wanted to know if i could link my hypothesis with the theories of relativity which could be investigated with equipment from a school lab of course and whether you could suggest some other ideas i should investigate my hypothesis on. It does not necessarily have to be related to gravity wells but related in some way to gravity and their interactions with objects with mass, gravity wells is just something i came up with
Thanks
Do the rules of the tournament allow you to ask help of others?
vishnu manoj
Jan5-13, 02:16 PM
yes the tournament allows people to help others

micromass
Jan5-13, 02:46 PM
Mentor
IYPT question on elastic space and need ideas for a hypothesis to investigate

yes the tournament allows people to help others
Can you link us to the rules which show this?
vishnu manoj
Jan6-13, 03:00 AM
yeah sure just scroll down and the rules will be there in the link provided below http://ilyam.org/FDD_2013_IYPT_Reference_kit.pdf.
micromass
Jan6-13, 04:14 AM
Mentor
yeah sure just scroll down and the rules will be there in the link provided below http://ilyam.org/FDD_2013_IYPT_Reference_kit.pdf.
OK, it seems to be allowed. Sorry for the inconvenience
vishnu manoj
Jan6-13, 10:27 AM
thats fine but i was hoping someone could give me some ideas for my hypothesis

Register to reply