Hypothesis: What Does it Really Mean?

• Thread starter timeuser84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, Webster's dictionary and the free dictionary online have 2 different definitions for the word "hypothesis." The free dictionary states that a hypothesis is an assumption or concession made for the sake of argument, while Webster's dictionary states that a hypothesis is an interpretation of a practical situation or condition taken as the ground for action. This creates a contradiction, and it is up to the individual to decide which definition is correct.
timeuser84
Sorry, I am not sure where to post this But I used Webster's dictionary and the free dictionary online to look it up and both dictionary's had 2 main different definitions for what a hypothesis means. The free dictionary states:

1. A tentative explanation for an observation, phenomenon, or scientific problem that can be tested by further investigation. 2. Something taken to be true for the purpose of argument or investigation; an assumption.

Webster's dictionary states: 1a : an assumption or concession made for the sake of argument
b : an interpretation of a practical situation or condition taken as the ground for action

These are contradictions so witch one is it? I would tend to think part of the scientific method uses a theory to describe what is observed or found in nature or the universe SO the observation or whatever, comes first, then the theory to explain it. NOT vice versa but I am no expert so i came here to ask witch one does it really or truly mean?

A hypothesis is a fundamental concept in scientific research and the scientific method. It is a proposed explanation or educated guess that can be tested through experimentation and observation. In essence, a hypothesis is a specific statement or prediction that helps researchers investigate and understand various phenomena.

Here are key aspects of what a hypothesis means:

1. Testable Explanation: A hypothesis is a clear and specific statement about the relationship between two or more variables. It proposes a cause-and-effect relationship or a correlation between these variables. It provides an educated guess about what researchers expect to find during their investigation.
  2. Falsifiability: A valid hypothesis must be testable and potentially falsifiable. In other words, it should be possible to design experiments or gather data that could prove the hypothesis wrong. If a hypothesis cannot be tested or has no potential for falsification, it lacks scientific validity.
  3. Foundation for Research: Hypotheses serve as the foundation for scientific research. They guide the design of experiments and data collection processes. Researchers formulate hypotheses based on existing knowledge and observations, and these hypotheses are used to structure the research.
  4. Specific and Measurable: A hypothesis should be precise and measurable. This means that the variables involved and the predicted outcome should be clearly defined so that researchers can collect data and analyze results effectively.
  5. Prediction: A hypothesis often includes a prediction about what will happen under certain conditions. For example, if the hypothesis is about the effect of a particular drug on a medical condition, the prediction might be that the drug will lead to a specific improvement in symptoms.
  6. Interconnected with Theory: Hypotheses are often related to existing scientific theories. They are used to test and refine these theories. A successful hypothesis can support or refine a theory, while unsuccessful hypotheses may lead to adjustments or rejections of existing theories.
  7. Empirical Testing: The primary way to evaluate a hypothesis is through empirical testing. Researchers conduct experiments, make observations, or collect data to determine whether the hypothesis is supported or contradicted by the evidence.
  8. Iterative Process: Scientific research is an iterative process. If a hypothesis is not supported by evidence, researchers may modify it, develop new hypotheses, or rethink their approach. The cycle continues until a valid and well-supported conclusion is reached.
In summary, a hypothesis is a fundamental element of the scientific method that provides a testable, specific, and measurable explanation for a phenomenon or problem. It plays a crucial role in guiding scientific research, helping researchers make predictions, and advancing our understanding of the natural world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
timeuser84 said:
Sorry, I am not sure where to post this But I used Webster's dictionary and the free dictionary online to look it up and both dictionary's had 2 main different definitions for what a hypothesis means. The free dictionary states:

1. A tentative explanation for an observation, phenomenon, or scientific problem that can be tested by further investigation. 2. Something taken to be true for the purpose of argument or investigation; an assumption.

Webster's dictionary states: 1a : an assumption or concession made for the sake of argument
b : an interpretation of a practical situation or condition taken as the ground for action

These are contradictions so witch one is it? I would tend to think part of the scientific method uses a theory to describe what is observed or found in nature or the universe SO the observation or whatever, comes first, then the theory to explain it. NOT vice versa but I am no expert so i came here to ask witch one does it really or truly mean?
You are getting hung up on the fact that many words used in science, hypothesis among them, are also used in just plain old English where they may have different and/or looser definitions. I think every definition you gave is a perfectly good English language definition with no contradictions involved.

If you want a purely scientific-term definition, see @hutchphd 's post above

Also, dictionaries generally give the English language definition. For specialty sub-definitions, they will typically put in a caveat with that particular definition indicating the limited usage.

Likes Klystron, symbolipoint and hutchphd
Take the word "theory" for example.

In every day language: I have a theory
This means I just pulled this idea out of my nether region, so I'll throw it into our conversation

This fact is part of the Theory of General Relativity.
A scientific theory is a scientific statement that has been shown to be correct. Plus, it correctly predicts facts we could not even guess. Relativity predicted black holes. Nobody could see them back then when Relativity was firsr defined. It was more than 100 years later that we generated an image of one.

The point is: the onus is on scientists to know this happens with many words, and to find a way NOT to confuse non-scientists. We are supposed to know better.

Helen Quinn has a letter to scientist types on this problem:
https://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/March07/Quinn/Quinn.html

What is a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon or a prediction about the relationship between two or more variables. It is a tentative statement that can be tested through research and experimentation.

Why is a hypothesis important?

A hypothesis is important because it provides a clear direction for research and helps scientists to focus their efforts. It also allows for the testing of ideas and theories, and can lead to new discoveries and advancements in knowledge.

How is a hypothesis formulated?

A hypothesis is typically formulated by observing a problem or a phenomenon and then asking a question about it. The researcher then proposes a possible explanation or prediction based on existing knowledge and theories.

What makes a good hypothesis?

A good hypothesis is one that is testable, falsifiable, and based on existing evidence. It should also be specific and clearly state the expected relationship between variables.

What happens if a hypothesis is not supported by the data?

If a hypothesis is not supported by the data, it does not necessarily mean that it is incorrect. It may simply need to be revised or refined based on the new information. However, if a hypothesis is repeatedly not supported by data, it may need to be rejected or further investigated.