Register to reply

Elasticity problem

by physicist10
Tags: elasticity
Share this thread:
physicist10
Jan7-13, 07:54 AM
P: 17
Hello, I am struggling with this problem. It is probably the easiest problem ever...

What I did: The plane has 2 stress components. σn and σs.

σn is a multiple of (l, m, k) vector. For σs, I made up a vector (a, b, c) which is orthogonal to (l, m, k). And I equated all vectors.

I'm probably doing something wrong. Any help is appreciated!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
physicist10
Jan7-13, 08:57 AM
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

General plane formulas.

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that the plane has 2 stress components. σn and σs.

σn is a multiple of (l, m, k) vector. For σs, I made up a vector (a, b, c) which is orthogonal to (l, m, k). And I equated all vectors.

I'm probably doing something wrong. Any help is appreciated!
Zirkus
Jan7-13, 10:31 AM
P: 10
Hello, I am not an expert on elasticity but this really looks quite straightforward. Let's first find the stress vector T (I'm using T instead of σ to avoid confusion with the stress tensor). You will get it by multiplying the (diagonal) stress tensor by your normal vector as T=(σ1l, σ2m, σ3n). It has two components as you wrote, Tn and Ts. The magnitude of Tn is simply the dot product of T and n and its direction is along n as you wrote. Vector Ts has to be the complement to the total stress vector.
And for the second part - the shear stress will be maximum if vector T lies in your plane, e.g. the dot product of T and n is zero.

Studiot
Jan7-13, 11:01 AM
P: 5,462
Elasticity problem

zirkus
Let's first find the stress vector T
Whilst this thread properly belongs in the homework section, this needs comment.

What is a stress vector?
physicist10
Jan7-13, 11:12 AM
Quote Quote by Studiot View Post
Whilst this thread properly belongs in the homework section, this needs comment.

What is a stress vector?
Aha, he's probably talking about the traction vector.

However, this was very helpful. Thanks
Zirkus
Jan7-13, 11:19 AM
P: 10
What is a stress vector?
We defined it similarly like the article on wiki does, so I won't rewrite it...Stress on Wikipedia
Most likely there are other methods or other terminology, I'm not a native speaker so i can't tell the subtle differences that well, sorry about that.
physicist10
Jan7-13, 11:42 AM
Quote Quote by Zirkus View Post
We defined it similarly like the article on wiki does, so I won't rewrite it...Stress on Wikipedia
Most likely there are other methods or other terminology, I'm not a native speaker so i can't tell the subtle differences that well, sorry about that.
Thanks Zirkus!

Register to reply