Unlocking an iPhone: Anyone done it?

by Saladsamurai
Tags: iphone, unlocking
Saladsamurai
Jan9-13, 10:11 AM
P: 3,012
I am traveling back to Ghana in a week and would love to bring my phone and swap out the SIM card. I was wondering if anyone has purchased an unlock online? I watched a video of an unlock and it showed the person syncing with iTunes when done with the new carrier's SIM card inserted.

Does anyone know if I can unlock it and sync with iTunes with my original SIM card inserted and then just swap out the SIM when I get to Ghana? I will not have my computer with me and nor do I have access to a Ghanian SIM card at the moment.

I'm not really up to speed with phone tech...maybe some of the younger whipper-snappers can help
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Greg Bernhardt
Jan9-13, 10:14 AM
Admin
P: 8,542
Do share photos and tales when you return from Ghana. It's on my list!

I can't help you with the unlocking, but fyi I do believe it will void your warranty.
Saladsamurai
Jan9-13, 10:24 AM
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
Do share photos and tales when you return from Ghana. It's on my list!

I can't help you with the unlocking, but fyi I do believe it will void your warranty.
The man himself ladies and gentlemen! Yes. I feel awful now. I promised to share photos and tales when I returned from my first trip to Ghana a year ago and I still have not I will try to get last year's photos posted before I leave.

I did buy the new GoPro Hero 3 for this trip though, so I will certainly be capturing the adventures!

Edit: Oh yeah, the iPhone is a 4 so it's 1 year warranty is up anyway.

MATLABdude
Jan11-13, 01:07 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,724

Unlocking an iPhone: Anyone done it?

I got my old iPhone 3GS unlocked by my carrier (Telus, in Canada) for use as a travel phone (not that I've had the occasion, but for $35, I figured it'd be worth it).

In the course of my research, I came across the fact that there was a so-called factory unlock (where iTunes lets you know that you know that you have an unlocked phone on reset), in which your IMEI is added to Apple's list of unlocked phones:
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/07/p...-itunes-screen

This contrasts with the jailbreak unlocking, which, as the name suggests, will go away if you have to update the phone software.

Long story short, make sure it's an actual IMEI unlock, and confirm that it's worked!
Saladsamurai
Jan14-13, 07:49 AM
Quote Quote by MATLABdude View Post
I got my old iPhone 3GS unlocked by my carrier (Telus, in Canada) for use as a travel phone (not that I've had the occasion, but for $35, I figured it'd be worth it).

In the course of my research, I came across the fact that there was a so-called factory unlock (where iTunes lets you know that you know that you have an unlocked phone on reset), in which your IMEI is added to Apple's list of unlocked phones:
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/07/p...-itunes-screen

This contrasts with the jailbreak unlocking, which, as the name suggests, will go away if you have to update the phone software.

Long story short, make sure it's an actual IMEI unlock, and confirm that it's worked!
Hi MLD

How things been going? Long time no see This is great. I came across the "Factory Unlock" and I am going to give it a go. I'll post back when I have some results.

Thanks again!
Pythagorean
Jan20-13, 11:12 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,210
I enjoyed jailbreaking my 3gs. I now enjoy android much more.

Register to reply