On weight of photon

by dev70
Tags: photon, weight
Share this thread:
dev70
Jan11-13, 12:51 PM
P: 58
hi pf, my friends asked me a strange question to me today,
"if in a vacuum chamber if light is somehow focused on a suitable weighing machine then will there be any deflection?
if yes does that mean light has mass? "

sounds strange, isnt? that why i choose to ask here?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists unlock nature of high-temperature superconductivity
Serial time-encoded amplified microscopy for ultrafast imaging based on multi-wavelength laser
Measuring the smallest magnets: Physicists measured magnetic interactions between single electrons
mfb
Jan11-13, 01:25 PM
Mentor
P: 11,589
Focused in which way? Coming from above, reflecting light upwards? This will transfer momentum, and the scale will change.
Focused to have a high and constant energy density close to some (hypothetical) very sensitive scale? The scale should see an attraction.
Something else?
dev70
Jan11-13, 11:56 PM
coming from above, and focused on a sensitive scale..

mfb
Jan12-13, 03:13 AM
Mentor
On weight of photon

Light has a momentum, and momentum times intensity is a pressure. Pressure times surface area (of your scale, or focus) is a force, and the scale can measure this.
The Nichols radiometer is not a scale, but it operates with light pressure.
dev70
Jan12-13, 03:41 AM
wow..beautiful explanation. i think i got it... i need some time for review..thanks by the way
dev70
Jan12-13, 03:43 AM
i guess it doesnt have anything to do with mass of photon?
mfb
Jan12-13, 03:57 AM
Mentor
A photon has no mass.

Register to reply