Questions on the Etiquette of Redrawing Older Maps

• Thread starter Thimbles
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of obtaining and using high-resolution map images from older journal articles for academic and personal use. The question of whether it is acceptable to redraw and post these maps on a blog with proper references is raised, as well as the potential legal and ethical implications of using someone else's data to create maps. It is noted that there is a long tradition of copying and redrawing maps in the scientific community, but with the rise of computer publishing, it is unclear where the boundaries lie. The conversation also mentions the copyright laws in the UK, which protect the originator's work up to 70 years after their death. Overall, the topic is complex and requires further research.
Thimbles
Backstory: I'm a geoscience undergrad at the moment and have often found it difficult to obtain high-resolution map images from older journal articles to include (and cite!) in written work. A recent example was a simplified lithofacies map from the 1970s - I did my best to rescale the image but once printed it was fuzzy and difficult to read, despite looking okay onscreen. Sort of defeats the purpose of a map, heh.

Questions: Is it considered poor form to redraw an older map (still referencing it, of course) if there are no better images available? And would it be a super-big no-no to redraw maps such as these for fun and post them on a blog for others to view/use (again, with appropriate references)? Not talking about updating the information per se, just using something like Illustrator to create a more scalable image. While we're at it, is it okay for me to create maps from someone else's data and post these online (with, you guessed it, references!)?

Basically I'm uncertain as to what may constitute infringement here, or whether it could be considered bad etiquette even though it's mainly something for me to do as a hobby. I have seen redrawn maps and diagrams in study materials but am unclear whether permission must be obtained prior to such an undertaking.

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place, just figured Earth Sci folk may have prior experience with this sort of thing. It's summer break here so I can't ask a lecturer.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I am quite sure, that there is a long tradition of copying and redrawing maps from one another. Imagine before satellite imagery you wanted to publish a map of say Australia in France. Nobody had the time or money to go to Australia to re survey for the purpose of a map. You would take any sources you could get, maybe recalculate the grid in order to change the projection, and then spend endless hours redrawing. Making the map cost a lot of time and nobody would doubt, that it was your work instead of the people that you copied from. Therefore taking other peoples data and re-visualizing it, is definitely ok especially if you join multiple sources. This has a long history in the sciences. In the age of computer publishing I don't know, where people draw the line. I know online map providers have sued people over including their maps, but I guess that you can only protect the artistic appearance and not the map data itself. Just my 2 cents, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you both for your input, very much appreciated!

0xDEADBEEF: I'm somewhat aware of the history of scientific cartography, albeit only from a second-year course, and the continuous updating and groundtruthing that goes on when the funding exists. That's probably more exhaustive than I would initially begin with but would love to work up to for sure. The geological maps I am interested in are often still relevant, just undigitised to a satisfactory degree. But you have really hit the crux of the matter when you mention the new(ish) age of computer publishing! It's a new and fuzzy area, and certainly I'd hate to ruin my young reputation over crossing an unclear boundary. I think you may have something by suggesting the actual map image (as art? so confusing!) is fine, but how would I tie this with the appropriate data if I can only present it as such?

Studiot: In terms of legal aspects I would imagine the law is very similar throughout the Commonwealth and I'll have a dig around on this for any local differences. I suppose this also leads me to wonder if it could fall under fair use for educational and non-profit work? Investigations are imminent, in any case.

I can understand your concerns about redrawing older maps and using them in your work. In general, it is considered acceptable to redraw an older map as long as it is properly referenced and cited. However, it is important to make sure that the redrawn map accurately reflects the information presented in the original map and does not misrepresent or alter the data.

In terms of posting redrawn maps on a blog for others to view and use, it is important to obtain permission from the original source or copyright holder before doing so. This is to ensure that proper credit is given and that there are no copyright infringements. It is always best to err on the side of caution and seek permission before posting any material that is not your own.

Creating maps from someone else's data and posting them online is also a grey area in terms of copyright and permissions. It is best to consult with the original source or copyright holder before doing so, and to properly cite and reference the data used in the map.

In general, it is important to respect the intellectual property of others and to always properly cite and reference any material that is not your own. If you are unsure about the etiquette or permissions surrounding the use of maps or data, it is best to seek guidance from a professor or mentor in your field. They can provide you with specific guidelines and help ensure that you are following proper etiquette and avoiding any potential infringements.

Related to Questions on the Etiquette of Redrawing Older Maps

1. What is the purpose of redrawing older maps?

The purpose of redrawing older maps is to update them with more accurate and current information. This can include changes in geographical features, political boundaries, and technological advancements in mapping.

2. Is it appropriate to redraw historical maps?

Yes, it is appropriate to redraw historical maps as long as it is done ethically and respectfully. This may include acknowledging the original creator and sources of the map, and ensuring that any changes made are accurate and do not alter the original intent of the map.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when redrawing older maps?

Some common mistakes to avoid when redrawing older maps include altering the original scale or proportions, omitting important features or landmarks, and inaccurately labeling or representing geographical information. It is important to thoroughly research and reference the original map before making any changes.

4. Are there any ethical considerations when redrawing older maps?

Yes, there are ethical considerations to keep in mind when redrawing older maps. This includes respecting the intellectual property of the original creator and properly citing any sources used. It is also important to be mindful of cultural sensitivities and avoid perpetuating historical inaccuracies or biases.

5. What are some tools and techniques used for redrawing older maps?

Some common tools and techniques used for redrawing older maps include GIS (Geographic Information Systems) software, satellite imagery, aerial photography, and historical maps and documents. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of cartography and design principles to create a visually appealing and accurate map.

Back