Register to reply

What is the Precise Heuristic Argument that Leads to Noether's Theorem

Share this thread:
liorde
Jan12-13, 04:12 AM
P: 15
Hi,
I'm confused about the exact interpretation of Noether's theorem for fields. I find that the statement of the theorem and its proof are not presented in a precise manner in books.
My main question is: what is the precise heuristic argument that leads to Noether's theorem?

The question is presented in the attached pdf document.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf q1.pdf (139.7 KB, 19 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Symphony of nanoplasmonic and optical resonators produces laser-like light emission
Do we live in a 2-D hologram? New Fermilab experiment will test the nature of the universe
Duality principle is 'safe and sound': Researchers clear up apparent violation of wave-particle duality
andrien
Jan13-13, 03:56 AM
P: 1,020
what is the precise heuristic argument that leads to Noether's theorem?
precise argument is that any continuous symmetry of lagrangian i.e. which can be build up from infinitesimal ones implies a conserved quantity.Also you have forgotten the action in your two dimensional case i.e. where is time?
liorde
Jan13-13, 12:43 PM
P: 15
I excluded time because I used a 2D space analogy, which was easy to illustrate in a figure. I'm interested in the idea, so it doesn't matter if I use time or not.

andrien
Jan14-13, 05:01 AM
P: 1,020
What is the Precise Heuristic Argument that Leads to Noether's Theorem

if you are looking for some elementary treatment then this might help.I am not sure what is really the problem.
http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath564/kmath564.htm

Register to reply