Post-transcriptional gene silencing (PTGS) and VIGS in plants

In summary, the conversation was about finding resources to better understand the differences between post-transcriptional gene silencing (PTGS) and virus-induced gene silencing (VIGS) in plants. The person was struggling to find clear explanations and eventually found a helpful review article by Turgay Unver and Hikmet Budak titled "Virus-Induced Gene Silencing, a Post Transcriptional Gene Silencing Method" in the International Journal of Plant Genomics.
Skwrl
Hello!

I'm looking for a book, a website or a person that could clearly explain the basics and the differences between post-transcriptional gene silencing (PTGS) and virus-induced gene silencing (VIGS) in plants. All the articles I've found this far have been very confusing (or maybe it's just me and my English reading comprehension and translating skills not working today).

Could you help me, please?
And thanks already in advance!

Biology news on Phys.org
...oh well. With the help of a friend, I eventually found a rather good review article.
In case someone else needs it, just look for:

Turgay Unver and Hikmet Budak: Virus-Induced Gene Silencing, a Post Transcriptional Gene Silencing Method (International Journal of Plant Genomics, Volume 2009, Article ID 198680)

What is post-transcriptional gene silencing (PTGS) in plants?

Post-transcriptional gene silencing (PTGS) is a natural process in plants where gene expression is regulated by targeting specific mRNA molecules for degradation. This process is important for regulating gene expression and maintaining cellular homeostasis.

How does PTGS occur in plants?

In plants, PTGS is initiated by the production of small double-stranded RNA molecules, known as small interfering RNAs (siRNAs). These siRNAs can then bind to complementary mRNA molecules and guide them to be degraded by a protein complex called the RNA-induced silencing complex (RISC).

What is virus-induced gene silencing (VIGS) in plants?

Virus-induced gene silencing (VIGS) is a technique used by scientists to study gene function in plants. It involves infecting plants with a modified virus that carries a fragment of the gene of interest. This results in the silencing of the targeted gene, allowing researchers to observe the effects of its absence on the plant.

What are the benefits of using VIGS in plant research?

VIGS is a useful tool for studying gene function in plants because it is relatively quick and easy compared to other methods. It also allows for the simultaneous silencing of multiple genes, making it useful for studying gene interactions and pathways.

What are some potential applications of PTGS and VIGS in plant biotechnology?

PTGS and VIGS have a wide range of potential applications in plant biotechnology, including the development of disease-resistant crops, improvement of crop yields, and production of biopharmaceuticals. These techniques also have potential for use in gene editing and functional genomics studies in plants.