Register to reply

The future methods of generating electricity?

Share this thread:
Miyz
Jan31-13, 04:36 AM
P: 200
Two main methods of generating electricity that I know off, and that are common:
1 ) Magnets & Coils
2 ) Solar cells.

The only two methods! What do you all think are the possibile future methods?
Are we close? Is there something you recommend me of look at?
I was just thinking of how limited we are in generating electricity, and wondering when the day comes where we are not!

So what do you all think?!

Miyz,
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists unlock nature of high-temperature superconductivity
Serial time-encoded amplified microscopy for ultrafast imaging based on multi-wavelength laser
Measuring the smallest magnets: Physicists measured magnetic interactions between single electrons
sophiecentaur
Jan31-13, 04:44 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,923
Quote Quote by Miyz View Post
Two main methods of generating electricity that I know off, and that are common:
1 ) Magnets & Coils
2 ) Solar cells.

The only two methods! What do you all think are the possibile future methods?
Are we close? Is there something you recommend me of look at?
I was just thinking of how limited we are in generating electricity, and wondering when the day comes where we are not!

So what do you all think?!

Miyz,
Did you forget the Chemical Method (batteries)?
Miyz
Jan31-13, 04:46 AM
Quote Quote by sophiecentaur View Post
Ow yes! Totally slipped my mind.
But other than that! What do you think is possibile in the future? Or what are some project/ideas/theories are being worked at now?

sophiecentaur
Jan31-13, 05:11 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
The future methods of generating electricity?

On a very small sscale, you have piezoelectric and triboelectric generation - but don't imagine you could run your car on them!
The other one would be magnetohydrodynamics which, given a massive source of high energy ions, could be 'a goer'.
Wiki can help you with all three.
russ_watters
Jan31-13, 05:34 AM
Mentor
P: 22,239
Quote Quote by sophiecentaur View Post
The other chemical method: fuel cells.

And thermoelectrics.
sophiecentaur
Jan31-13, 05:36 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
How about Hamster Wheels, too?
SteamKing
Jan31-13, 09:15 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,308
No. Hamster wheels are prime movers, unless you have electrified hamsters running inside a magnetic cage.
sophiecentaur
Jan31-13, 11:09 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by SteamKing View Post
No. Hamster wheels are prime movers, unless you have electrified hamsters running inside a magnetic cage.
I'd have the RSPCA down on me like a ton of bricks.
unclebob
Jan31-13, 11:27 AM
P: 6
AVE Where an artificial tornado is created with generators at the in let ports just google Atmospheric Vortex Engine
unclebob
Jan31-13, 11:28 AM
There is also cold fusion
ModusPwnd
Jan31-13, 01:07 PM
P: 1,056
Quote Quote by unclebob View Post
There is also cold fusion
Fusion alone, cold or not, doesnt generate electricity. If you want electricity from fusion you need magnets and conductors, like always.
sophiecentaur
Jan31-13, 01:15 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by ModusPwnd View Post
Fusion alone, cold or not, doesnt generate electricity. If you want electricity from fusion you need magnets and conductors, like always.
Magnetohydrodynamics? You could get yourself a plasma easily enough with fusion - but then I suppose the fusion wouldn't be 'cold'.
ModusPwnd
Jan31-13, 01:18 PM
P: 1,056
Maybe. I might just think of that as an exotic form of magnetic fields and conductors though.
unclebob
Jan31-13, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the info. ModusPwnd your right unless you can capture free electrons. maybe??? I guess not as conductiors are still needed. again thanks
Khashishi
Jan31-13, 04:25 PM
P: 886
In fusion, it should be possible to get the hot helium atoms to flow against a voltage gradient and run into an electrode. The electrons would be steered toward another electrode. This would convert helium kinetic energy into DC electricity fairly directly. You wouldn't need turbines and a heat exchanger.
Miyz
Jan31-13, 06:31 PM
Ow very very interesting methods!
Miyz
Jan31-13, 06:35 PM
Yet, do you all think the magnet + conductor method will be replaced? I mean something else would be more useful and sufficient?

The future always has promising innovation, but I personally believe this method will stick with us for a very long time.
unclebob
Jan31-13, 06:57 PM
Quote Quote by Khashishi View Post
In fusion, it should be possible to get the hot helium atoms to flow against a voltage gradient and run into an electrode. The electrons would be steered toward another electrode. This would convert helium kinetic energy into DC electricity fairly directly. You wouldn't need turbines and a heat exchanger.
Thanks guy for all of your responses it has been very enlightening. uncle bob

Register to reply