What is IT?

by Tenshou
Tags: None
Tenshou
Feb2-13, 09:40 PM
P: 150
I hear that there is thing out there with communication with in all types of systems and it is called Information Technology (IT for short) Can some one expand upon this field of engineering, I would like to know a little bit more, And as always, Please and Thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
chiro
Feb2-13, 10:32 PM
P: 4,570
Hey Tenshou and welcome to the forums.

IT is word that is often thrown around for a lot of different things and because of this, its meaning is not that definite depending on who is throwing it around and who is using it.
phion
Feb7-13, 07:21 AM
PF Gold
P: 47
Have you ever seen the movie IT? They're kind of like that, appearing where you least expect, causing all kinds of terror and mayhem, all while being completely unnoticed by everyone else who isn't aware of their existence.

Also, I hear a prerequisite for IT is to be nearsighted.

D H
Feb7-13, 07:39 AM
Mentor
P: 14,468

What is IT?

I could post something that exposes my possibly ill-founded biases against those who claim a degree in "Information Technology".

But I won't.

IT is one of the five major areas related to computing for which the Association for Computing Machinery and the IEEE Computer Society have developed recommended curricula. The other four are computer science, computer engineering, information systems, and software engineering. You can read about these five major areas here: http://www.acm.org/education/educati...rch06Final.pdf (last updated 2006), and about IT specifically here: http://www.acm.org//education/curric...Curriculum.pdf (last updated 2008).
Tenshou
Feb7-13, 12:00 PM
P: 150
Thank you D H for those Informed Post (hehe)
crabrol
Apr30-13, 11:09 PM
P: 3
Generally, IT means an industry that uses networking, computer and software programming to store, process, transmit and retrieve data particularly in business.

Register to reply