Is a Resistor a Capacitor in a Simple Circuit with a DC Current?

In summary, a resistor in a simple circuit with a battery and copper wire behaves similarly to a parallel plate capacitor, with the two boundary surfaces acting as the source and sink of the electric field. This is known as parasitic capacitance and can be ignored or taken into account depending on the purpose. There is a surface charge at the boundary surfaces, but the use of mechanical analogies may not provide a deeper understanding. The validity of Gauss's law in a resistor and the permittivity of conductive/resistive materials are still in question.
Orthoceras
Suppose a resistor is connected on both sides to a copper wire, in a simple circuit with a battery. Resistor and wires are cylinders of equal diameter. A DC current is flowing through the resistor and the wires. The current is axial everywhere, and the electric field is also axial. The strength of the electric field is constant in the resistor, E = U/d (U is voltage, d is length of the resistor), and it is close to zero in the copper wires.

This E field seems to be similar to the E field of a parallel plate capacitor. The two boundary surfaces S1 and S2 between copper and resistor are the source and the sink of the E field. Is it correct to conclude that the boundary surfaces S1 and S2 carry a surface charge Q = U/C, where C = A εx /d , and that the resistor behaves like a capacitor for AC frequencies ω > 1/RC ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is called parasitic capacitance. Resistors and other circuit components have capacitance. Sometimes (for a given purpose) it is small enough to ignore, other times it must be taken into account. The equations of a circuit are approximations based on assumptions, different approximations are appropriate at different times. What we think of as a resistor, an inductor, or a capacitor is a combination of all of them.

Thanks. I suppose your answer also implies: yes, the boundary surfaces S1 and S2 carry that surface charge Q.

Now, I am trying to understand in mechanical terms why there is a surface charge at S1 and S2. DC current through a resistor seems to be mathematically similar to viscous fluid/gas flow through a hydraulic resistor. Is there an equivalent of the electrical surface charge at the entrance of the hydraulic resistor? For example, is the density of the air increased or decreased in a thin layer at the entrance of the air filter in a vacuum cleaner (assuming a constant conduit diameter, to maintain the same particle speed inside and outside the filter)?

Last edited:
I'm not sure that coming up with a 'mechanical' explanation / interpretation will give you any deeper understanding. When you use analogies there is always the risk of coming to conclusions that are 'outside' the overlap between reality and analogy. You seem happy enough with using Maths to describe relationships between variables and Maths is usually an excellent model to use in descriptions of physical 'reality. Why not stick with that? (Unless you are wanting to dumb things down so you can explain to someone else)

Well, I don't trust the results of my Maths. I am unhappy with the idea that there is a uniform surface charge at the boundary layer. A mechanical interpretation might have helped.

My question is actually: is Gauss's law valid in a resistor? Or, is the permittivity εx of conductive/resistive materials infinite? (That would make Q zero).

Last edited:
Oops.
In message #1, the formula should have been Q=UC. Hence, the last sentence of message #5 should have been: "Or, is the permittivity εx of conductive/resistive materials zero? (That would make Q zero)."

1. Is a resistor the same as a capacitor?

No, a resistor and a capacitor are two different components in an electrical circuit. A resistor is a passive component that resists the flow of current, while a capacitor is an active component that stores and releases electrical energy.

2. Can a resistor act as a capacitor?

No, a resistor cannot act as a capacitor. While both components store energy, a resistor does not have the ability to release stored energy like a capacitor does. Additionally, the structure and function of a resistor and a capacitor are different.

3. What is the difference between a resistor and a capacitor?

The main difference between a resistor and a capacitor is their function in an electrical circuit. A resistor resists the flow of current, while a capacitor stores and releases electrical energy. Additionally, the physical structure and materials used in each component are different.

4. Can a resistor and a capacitor be used interchangeably?

No, a resistor and a capacitor cannot be used interchangeably. They serve different functions in an electrical circuit and have different physical properties. However, they can be used together in certain circuits to achieve specific results.

5. How do I know when to use a resistor or a capacitor in a circuit?

The decision to use a resistor or a capacitor in a circuit depends on the desired function of the circuit. If you want to control the flow of current, a resistor would be appropriate. If you want to store and release electrical energy, a capacitor would be necessary. Consulting a circuit diagram or an electrical engineer can also help determine the appropriate component to use.