Strange charging voltage behavior in a resistor-capacitor circuit

In summary, the conversation discussed a simulation of a capacitor and resistor charging circuit, using an imaginary resistor value of "10M ohm". The results appeared strange and a question was raised about the relationship between capacitor charge and voltage. The speaker also asked for book recommendations on understanding electrical circuit components. Additional questions were asked about the simulation program and its potential factors for the strange results.
abdullah khaled
hi,
i tried to simulate a simple capacitor and resistor charging circuit like this
i used an imaginary resistor value "10M ohm" the result as you see appear to be strange, why this happened? is capacitor's charge is relative to the voltage on the capacitor it self?
and i need some recommendations of books explains electrical circuit component :)
thank you.
ds23.PNG

Attachments

• ds23.PNG
    ds23.PNG
    28.3 KB · Views: 304
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
abdullah khaled said:
i tried to simulate a simple capacitor and resistor charging circuit like this
i used an imaginary resistor value "10M ohm" the result as you see appear to be strange, why this happened?
What simulation program is this? Does it simulate the impedance of the voltmeter. If so, what is their impedance?

+1

Does it model leakage current in the capacitor?

1. What is a resistor-capacitor circuit?

A resistor-capacitor circuit is a type of electronic circuit that consists of a resistor and a capacitor connected in series or parallel. The resistor is used to control the flow of current, while the capacitor is used to store and release electrical energy.

2. Why does the charging voltage behavior in a resistor-capacitor circuit appear strange?

The charging voltage behavior in a resistor-capacitor circuit may appear strange because of the way the circuit responds to changes in the input voltage. When a voltage is applied to the circuit, the capacitor initially acts as an open circuit, allowing the voltage to pass through and charge it. However, as the capacitor charges, its voltage and the current through the resistor decrease, resulting in a slower rate of charging. This behavior can appear unusual to those unfamiliar with the characteristics of capacitors.

3. How does the time constant affect the charging voltage behavior in a resistor-capacitor circuit?

The time constant, denoted by the symbol τ, is a measure of how quickly the capacitor charges or discharges in a resistor-capacitor circuit. It is determined by the product of the resistance and capacitance values in the circuit. A larger time constant means the capacitor will take longer to charge and reach its maximum voltage, resulting in a slower rate of charging. This can affect the overall behavior of the charging voltage in the circuit.

4. Can external factors affect the charging voltage behavior in a resistor-capacitor circuit?

Yes, external factors such as temperature, humidity, and the quality of components used can affect the charging voltage behavior in a resistor-capacitor circuit. These factors can impact the resistance and capacitance values in the circuit, which in turn can affect the time constant and overall behavior of the circuit.

5. How can I troubleshoot strange charging voltage behavior in a resistor-capacitor circuit?

If you are experiencing strange charging voltage behavior in a resistor-capacitor circuit, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue. First, check the circuit for any loose connections or damaged components. Next, make sure the resistance and capacitance values are correct and within tolerance. If all else fails, try replacing the components to see if that resolves the issue. If you are still unable to determine the cause of the strange behavior, it may be beneficial to consult a professional or refer to the circuit's design specifications.