by Ehsans
Tags: flow, rate, volumetric
Share this thread:
Ehsans
Mar14-05, 03:52 AM
P: 3
hi ,
I have a question that if you answer it I would be so thankfull, Q is:
"Can we calculate volumetric flow rate without knowing cross-sectional area?
If,yes,How?"

I have this Q because I see a portable Thermometer,volumetric flow rate meter ,which show it without giving any area size!!

Thanks lot,
Ehsan
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
FredGarvin
Mar14-05, 11:07 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
What flowmeter do you have?
Artman
Mar15-05, 08:45 PM
P: 1,591
Collect what is flowing in a measured container and time it.

Is this a theoretical question, or an aplication for which you need a calculation or measuring method?

Ehsans
Mar20-05, 01:41 AM
Volumetric flow rate

Quote Quote by Artman
Collect what is flowing in a measured container and time it.

Is this a theoretical question, or an aplication for which you need a calculation or measuring method?
Hi artman,
I want to know how it works,maybe Theoretical or aplication :)

thanks ,
Ehsan.
Ehsans
Mar20-05, 01:44 AM
Quote Quote by FredGarvin
What flowmeter do you have?
Hi Fred ,
I haven't it , just saw it in university.

thanks,
Ehsan.
Integral
Mar20-05, 02:25 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 7,336
You really do not provide enough information to enable a meaningful answer. What kind of flow meter are you talking about?

I am currently working with this flow meter it is a calorimetric mass flow meter, that is it measures the amount of heat carried off by the flow. The output is a 4-20ma signal which is proportional to the flow rate. Internal electronics "know" the physical parameters about the flow meter, so I do not need to.
FredGarvin
Mar20-05, 10:43 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
The whole point of the flow meter is to give you the flow rate. Granted, proper calibration is a must, but that is the point of the instrument. Rephrase your question so we can better understand what it is you are looking for.
quark
May2-05, 07:01 AM
P: 230
I am a bit late. Actually true mass flowmeters can directly measure mass glowrate and then it will be converted to volume flowrate. Thermal flowmeters based on calorimetric principle, as suggested by Integral, measure mass flowrate by sensing increase in temperature as heat flows from a resistor to the flowing fluid. The simple equation used is Q = mxCpxdT. Q is the constant heat flowrate supplied by the resistor, m is mass flowrate of fluid, Cp is its specific heat and dT is temperature difference.

Corriolis mass flowmeters measure the force exerted upon a sensor(based on the mass flowrate). These two devices don't require pipe size input. However, for better accuracy and lower pressure drops, a velocity range is specified.

Register to reply