Volumetric Flow Rate through a Venturi Meter

In summary, the speaker has designed a Venturi meter to measure pressure differential in a pipe and is using the Bernoulli Equation for calculations. They are unsure if the formula is correct and have found multiple different formulas online. However, their current calculation matches with what others have found and they plan to re-design the tube to achieve laminar flow.
Teeg
TL;DR Summary
TL DR: Am I using correct formula for calculating Volumetric Flow rate through Venturi Tube
Hi, I have designed a simple Venturi meter to measure pressure differential across to section of the pipe as pictured. However in calculations I am not sure if I am doing something wrong. I am trying to calculate Volumetric flow rate in L/s.
vjat1hca8iu51.png

I am using Bernoulli Equation of the Venturi meter as above

From my MPX5010 DP Sensor I am getting a pressure differential of 222.2 pa.

A1 is cross sectional area of first part of the tube = Pi * R^2 = 0.000415 M^2

A2 = Pi* R^2 = 0.0000283 M^2

P = Density of air = 1.225

P1-P2 = DeltaP = 222.2 Pa

Plugging all into the equation above I am getting a volumetric flowrate = 0.000539783 M^3/s

Multiply by 1000 = 0.539783 L/s
Is this correct, is the formula correct ? I have seen multiple different formulas stipulated online.
Thank you

2rp2qi789iu51.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Formula is as it is shown here . What others did you find ?
When I do the calculation I get your result -- but with less digits.

Likes Teeg and Lnewqban
Thanks for your response. Looking further into the topic I think I am not achieving laminar flow and this is my problem, I am going to re design the tube to attempt to achieve laminar flow through the device.

What is a Venturi meter and how does it work?

A Venturi meter is a device used to measure the volumetric flow rate of a fluid in a closed system. It works by utilizing the principle of Bernoulli's equation, which states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant throughout a system. The Venturi meter has a narrow throat section that causes the fluid to accelerate, creating a pressure drop. This pressure drop is then correlated to the volumetric flow rate of the fluid passing through the meter.

What are the advantages of using a Venturi meter?

One of the main advantages of using a Venturi meter is its high accuracy and reliability. It is also less prone to clogging and can handle a wide range of flow rates. Additionally, it has a low pressure loss, making it a cost-effective option for measuring fluid flow in pipelines.

What factors can affect the accuracy of a Venturi meter?

The accuracy of a Venturi meter can be affected by factors such as the shape and size of the meter, the fluid properties, and the installation conditions. It is important to properly calibrate and maintain the meter to ensure accurate readings.

How do you calculate the volumetric flow rate using a Venturi meter?

The volumetric flow rate through a Venturi meter can be calculated using the following formula: Q = Cd * A * √(2Δp/ρ), where Q is the volumetric flow rate, Cd is the discharge coefficient of the meter, A is the cross-sectional area of the throat, Δp is the pressure drop across the meter, and ρ is the fluid density.

Are there any limitations to using a Venturi meter?

While Venturi meters have many advantages, they also have some limitations. They may not be suitable for measuring low flow rates or fluids with high viscosity or particulate matter. They also require a straight section of pipe before and after the meter for accurate readings, which may not always be possible in certain installations.