Convert a moment KNm to N/mm^2?

by escobar147
Tags: moment, units
escobar147
Feb19-13, 03:42 PM
P: 31
I have a moment value: 921.84 KNm which I have to divide by a stress: 275 N/mm^2

What conversion could I do to get this in the form of cm^3?
3 hours ago - 4 days left to answer.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Travis_King
Feb19-13, 04:04 PM
P: 763
You are dividing a moment by a stress?

You've got kilonewtons and newtons, meters and millimeters. Figure out how you get from one to the other in both of those cases. Choose a length unit and figure out how to get that to centimeters.
berkeman
Feb19-13, 05:20 PM
Mentor
P: 39,600
Quote Quote by escobar147 View Post
I have a moment value: 921.84 KNm which I have to divide by a stress: 275 N/mm^2

What conversion could I do to get this in the form of cm^3?
3 hours ago - 4 days left to answer.
The easiest way to do unit conversions is to multiply by "1", where the "1" has the starting units in the denominator, and the target final units in the numerator.

So to convert from meters to cm, I would multiply by 100cm/1m = 1.

To convert from m^2 to cm^2, I would multiply by (100cm/1m)^2 = 1^2 = 1.

Units can cancel out when they appear in both the numerator and denominator, so that's why it's a good habit to carry your units along in your calculations, and cancel as appropriate to get the final answer's value and units together.

Make sense? Show us how to use this trick in your problem...

Register to reply