Who made Physics Forums?

by heman
Tags: None
Share this thread:
heman
Mar15-05, 01:34 AM
P: 354
i wanna know very basic thing....

Whoever has made this Pf..What is he getting out of it and how??
what is the cost of Pf?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Integral
Mar15-05, 01:45 AM
Mentor
P: 7,315
The forums were started by Greg Bernhardt. To the best of my knowledge all he gets is lots of headaches about various software problems and the pleasure of watching his baby turn into one of the most respected physics fourms on the web.
heman
Mar15-05, 02:32 AM
and what about the money.....i wanna know how like other websites too earn as i am myself Enrolled in CSE dept. and i wanna learn web designing too.

RoboSapien
Mar15-05, 05:23 AM
P: 99
Who made Physics Forums?

close this thread before Pf gets competition.
russ_watters
Mar15-05, 09:58 AM
Mentor
P: 22,247
This site is supported by advertisements and donations. It produces little or no profit.
Greg Bernhardt
Mar15-05, 10:20 AM
Admin
P: 9,334
I get the biggest joy out of seeing a high school extra credit project made 4 years ago become the most respected and productive science community on the web. I have the highest amount of pride watching an incredible staff team day after day continue to raise the bar of exellence for PF. I am also so captivated by the fact of how many people are getting the help they need to better understand science, the world around them and as a side effect become better human beings.
Clausius2
Mar15-05, 12:12 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,479
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt
I get the biggest joy out of seeing a high school extra credit project made 4 years ago become the most respected and productive science community on the web. I have the highest amount of pride watching an incredible staff team day after day continue to raise the bar of exellence for PF. I am also so captivated by the fact of how many people are getting the help they need to better understand science, the world around them and as a side effect become better human beings.
Nice words.

(I'm crying right now )

Well, Greg, it is the time you share with us all these million of dollars you have earned so far. The other day I saw you in Vanity Fair as one of the richest guys in the world. I promise, I'll find you everywhere you go with the money.
Moonbear
Mar15-05, 12:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
I get the biggest joy out of seeing a high school extra credit project made 4 years ago become the most respected and productive science community on the web.
Really? That's how this all started? As an extra credit project?! I'm amazed! I didn't know that part of PF's history.

I really appreciate the level of professionalism at this site, and I love that it brings together high school students with science professionals. One thing that keeps me here are the students. I just love to watch them come here, sometimes struggling at first, and grow and mature into budding young scientists. The way the homework help is handled to guide students into finding answers for themselves and truly learning a subject rather than just being handed answers is what makes this site quite unique and special.

For those of us who enjoy teaching, it's easy to see why Greg should feel so rewarded by the sense of accomplishment in creating this site.
dextercioby
Mar15-05, 02:32 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,896
Yeah,we've a got a cheeerful & smart community here.I'm glad to have been part of it.I'll take a break.Hope to find you guys healthy & in great shape again,when i come back.

Daniel.

P.S.Wonderful job,Greg...

I wish u all the very best...
Greg Bernhardt
Mar15-05, 03:27 PM
Admin
Quote Quote by Moonbear
Really? That's how this all started? As an extra credit project?! I'm amazed! I didn't know that part of PF's history.
Well yeah kinda, actually I knew I wanted to make a physics community, but being the business man I am, I negociated my way into getting extra credit for it in my physics class and I just kept running with the community idea. I think within the first week of opening phobos and monique signed up. Just ask them and they'll tell you what you see now is not what it was, PF has gone through many many transformations and I think finally we found a system that works. I remember way back I even had some crackpots (I didn't know any better) as mods, haha oh well, I learned quickly.
heman
Mar15-05, 03:56 PM
Quote Quote by Moonbear
I just love to watch them come here, sometimes struggling at first, and grow and mature into budding young scientists.

i liked this statement most....Really i love you for it
ramollari
Mar16-05, 02:11 AM
P: 453
Well yeah kinda, actually I knew I wanted to make a physics community, but being the business man I am, I negociated my way into getting extra credit for it in my physics class and I just kept running with the community idea. I think within the first week of opening phobos and monique signed up. Just ask them and they'll tell you what you see now is not what it was, PF has gone through many many transformations and I think finally we found a system that works. I remember way back I even had some crackpots (I didn't know any better) as mods, haha oh well, I learned quickly.
Do you have a maintenance team Greg or do you maintain the forum software by yourself? How much software did you reuse?
RoboSapien
Mar16-05, 06:27 AM
Ok thats it what should I do to create such a forum ?
Greg Bernhardt
Mar16-05, 10:11 AM
Admin
Quote Quote by ramollari
Do you have a maintenance team Greg or do you maintain the forum software by yourself? How much software did you reuse?
I maintained everything up until about this past summer (I think) when chroot was promoted to admin. I couldn't do it all anymore and chroot has really been a life saver. PF has been through 2 wipes because of poor hosting and software choices. A couple years ago I finally got smart and went for professional software and hosting. Now we are set for a lifetime.
Phobos
Mar16-05, 12:15 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,020
I think within the first week of opening phobos and monique signed up.
I should have bought stock then.
Monique
Mar16-05, 12:36 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Quote Quote by Phobos
no kidding
RoboSapien
Mar18-05, 06:46 AM
Quote Quote by Phobos
Dont worry I will soon launch PF2.0 with no moderators. There will be mass moderation. something similar but much more advanced that this
http://slashdot.org/moderation.shtml
that is going to cause quite a mass wipeout of all the forums on internet because it wont be limited only to physics or science.
Chronos
Mar18-05, 07:04 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,387
It is a privelege to be associated with the people here who donate their time and struggle to advance the cause of knowledge. I have learned many things from all of you and it has made me a better person, I think. I believe we have collectively advanced the search for truth, and shared the joy of discovery. Sometimes we engage in trivial disagreements, but never have so many joined together to fight the good fight... OK, so I'm a closet optimist, throw shoes at me.

Register to reply