Calculating Maximum Bending Stress in Beam w/Varying Cross Section

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the maximum bending stress in a beam with a varying cross section. The equation used is σ=M/Sx, where σ is stress, M is bending moment, and Sx is the section modulus. The use of Sx is explained and it is noted that it is also referred to as the first moment of area. It is also mentioned that for a variable section beam, the maximum stress may not be at the same place as the maximum bending moment.
zzinfinity
Hi,
I'm trying to calculate the maximum bending stress in a beam with a varying cross section. I found a great resource (link below) that gives examples on how to do this but am a little confused. Basically the equation used is σ=M/Sx I know what σ and M are, but I haven't a clue what Sx is meant to be. Can anyone tell me what this is? It's kind of tough to figure our a way to google "S" and get meaningful results. Thanks!

http://www.aaronklapheck.com/Downloads/Engr112_Handouts/ENGR112%20Solutions/05-03ChapGere%5B1%5D.pdf

PS. What I'm trying to do, is calculate the maximum stress of a boat hull. I'm approximating it as a beam, but the cross section geometry is arbitrary. If anyone has any suggestions about a better way to do this, they are certainly welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The general formuila is $$\sigma = \frac{My}{I}$$ where y is the distance from the neutral axis.

It looks like he is combining ##I## and the maximum value of ##y## into $$S_x = \frac{I}{y_{\text{max}}}.$$ I've never seen that notation before, but then I learned how to stress beams a very long time ago!

Edit: in one of the problems in the PDF he gives it the name "section modulus". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_modulus. Looking at the references on the Wiki page, maybe it's used more as a civil or structural engineering term than in general mech eng.

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
The general formuila is $$\sigma = \frac{My}{I}$$ where y is the distance from the neutral axis.

Thanks for you help. So if I have a beam with a varying cross section (and therefore a variable I) how do I deal with that? Can I just find I at the cross section I want to know the stress at? Or do I need to consider the moment of inertia at other portions of the beam as well?

Also wikipedia denotes the "First moment of Area" with an S. Do you think that could be what it is? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_moment_of_area

Thanks again.

zzinfinity said:
So if I have a beam with a varying cross section (and therefore a variable I) how do I deal with that? Can I just find I at the cross section I want to know the stress at?

Just consider I at that cross section.

But note that for a variable section beam, the maximum stress might not be at the same place as the maximum bending moment. For example I might decrease faster than M as you move along the beam, so M/I increases.

(For a constant cross section, y and I are the same everywhere along the beam so the maximum stress position is the same as the max bending moment position.)

Sx is the section modulus. This number is used in some design rules when sizing plating-stiffener combinations.

1. What is maximum bending stress in a beam with varying cross section?

Maximum bending stress refers to the amount of stress that a beam can withstand before it reaches its breaking point. It is a crucial factor in determining the structural integrity and safety of a beam, especially when the cross section of the beam is not uniform.

2. How is maximum bending stress calculated in a beam with varying cross section?

The maximum bending stress in a beam with varying cross section can be calculated using the formula σmax = (My)/I, where σmax is the maximum bending stress, M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis to the point of interest, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross section.

3. What factors affect the maximum bending stress in a beam with varying cross section?

The maximum bending stress in a beam with varying cross section is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the cross section, the type of loading (e.g. point load, distributed load), and the material properties of the beam (e.g. modulus of elasticity, yield strength).

4. How does a change in cross section affect the maximum bending stress in a beam?

A change in cross section, such as a decrease in width or an increase in depth, can have a significant impact on the maximum bending stress in a beam. Generally, a decrease in cross section results in an increase in maximum bending stress, while an increase in cross section can lead to a decrease in maximum bending stress.

5. What is the significance of calculating maximum bending stress in a beam with varying cross section?

Calculating maximum bending stress in a beam with varying cross section is crucial for ensuring the structural safety and stability of a building or structure. It allows engineers to determine the maximum load that a beam can withstand and make necessary adjustments to prevent structural failure. Additionally, it helps in selecting the appropriate materials and dimensions for beams in construction projects.