Register to reply

Integration by parts when a limit is infinity.

by Shinjo
Tags: infinity, integration, limit, parts
Share this thread:
Shinjo
Mar16-05, 05:09 PM
P: 12
I'm having a tough time trying to do integration by parts with one of my limits being infinity. My Integral looks like:

[tex] \int_0^\infty x^z e^{-x} dx[/tex] with [tex] z = \frac{-1}{\pi}[/tex]

Now if I let [tex]u = e^{-x} [/tex] and [tex]dv = x^z dx[/tex],
I will have: [tex]du = -e^{-x} dx [/tex] and [tex] v = \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1}
[/tex] and so
[tex] uv - \int_0^\infty v du
= e^{-x} \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1} - \int_0^\infty \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1} -e^{-x} dx[/tex]

However, since one of the limit is infinity, the term
[tex] uv = e^{-x} \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1}[/tex] has a freakin infinity subbed in it. The answer is actually,
[tex] \frac{1}{z + 1} \int_0^\infty x^{z + 1} e^{-x} dx[/tex], which is what my integral part looks like. What am I doing wrong? Why do I get a term with infinity at the front?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Data
Mar16-05, 05:14 PM
P: 998
What is [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} x^ze^{-x}[/tex]?
Jameson
Mar16-05, 05:27 PM
P: 787
I think it is easier to look at the limit like this:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{x^{\frac{1}{\pi}}e^{x}}[/tex]

Data
Mar16-05, 05:51 PM
Integration by parts when a limit is infinity.

[tex]x^ze^{-x} = \frac{x^z}{e^x} \neq \frac{1}{x^{\frac{1}{z}}e^x}[/tex]
Jameson
Mar16-05, 06:03 PM
Shinjo said in his first post that [tex]z = -\frac{1}{\pi}[/tex]
Data
Mar16-05, 06:09 PM
oops!

Anyways the integral actually is just equal to [tex]\Gamma \left( \frac{\pi - 1}{\pi} \right)[/tex]
Shinjo
Mar16-05, 06:51 PM
Quote Quote by Shinjo
I'm having a tough time trying to do integration by parts with one of my limits being infinity. My Integral looks like:

[tex] \int_0^\infty x^z e^{-x} dx[/tex] with [tex] z = \frac{-1}{\pi}[/tex]

Now if I let [tex]u = e^{-x} [/tex] and [tex]dv = x^z dx[/tex],
I will have: [tex]du = -e^{-x} dx [/tex] and [tex] v = \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1}
[/tex] and so
[tex] uv - \int_0^\infty v du
= e^{-x} \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1} - \int_0^\infty \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1} -e^{-x} dx[/tex]

However, since one of the limit is infinity, the term
[tex] uv = e^{-x} \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1}[/tex] has a freakin infinity subbed in it. The answer is actually,
[tex] \frac{1}{z + 1} \int_0^\infty x^{z + 1} e^{-x} dx[/tex], which is what my integral part looks like. What am I doing wrong? Why do I get a term with infinity at the front?
But the way to calculate the gamma function is to do that actual integral...

anywayz, do you see my problem though? when my [tex] v [/tex] becomes [tex]v = \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1}, [/tex]my [tex]x^{z + 1}[/tex] term gets moved to the top and turns into infinity.
Data
Mar16-05, 06:54 PM
[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^ye^{-x} = 0 \ \forall y \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]
Shinjo
Mar16-05, 07:06 PM
Hmm...maybe I should have mentioned this earlier, but I am not trying to solve the integral. I have to get it in a specific form so I can use Gaussian Quadrature. In order to do that I have to integrate by parts.

The answer is supposed to be: [tex] \frac{1}{z + 1} \int_0^\infty x^{z + 1} e^{-x} dx[/tex], but I don't know how to get rid of the [tex] uv = e^{-x} \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1}[/tex] term, since one of the limits is infinity.

Thank you for the help btw, it is much appreciated.
Data
Mar16-05, 07:10 PM
[tex] \left[e^{-x}\frac{1}{z+1}x^{z+1}\right]_0^\infty = \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \left(\frac{e^{-x}x^{z+1}}{z+1}\right) - 0 = \frac{1}{z+1}\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} e^{-x}x^{z+1}[/tex]

then just apply the result in my last post.
Shinjo
Mar16-05, 07:22 PM
Quote Quote by Data
[tex] \left[e^{-x}\frac{1}{z+1}x^{z+1}\right]_0^\infty = \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \left(\frac{e^{-x}x^{z+1}}{z+1}\right) - 0 = \frac{1}{z+1}\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} e^{-x}x^{z+1}[/tex]

then just apply the result in my last post.
Ahh...I see what you're saying. Thank you.

I don't mean to question your method, I know I might be becoming a nuisance by now, but can you tell me why [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^ye^{-x} = 0 \ \forall y \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]? I mean, doesn't [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^y = \infty[/tex]?
hypermorphism
Mar16-05, 07:30 PM
P: 506
Quote Quote by Shinjo
Ahh...I see what you're saying. Thank you.

I don't mean to question your method, I know I might be becoming a nuisance by now, but can you tell me why [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^ye^{-x} = 0 \ \forall y \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]? I mean, doesn't [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^y = \infty[/tex]?
That's not really relevant when you have a denominator that is also a function of x. For example, the trivial f(x) = x/x or g(x) = x/(x2 + 1), neither of which diverge as x increases without bound. Now refer to your problem f(x) = xz+1/ex. Note that both numerator and denominator diverge as x increases without bound, so we may apply L'Hospital's rule to examine the equivalent limit (z+1)!/ex which approaches zero as x increases without bound.
Jameson
Mar16-05, 07:30 PM
I think he meant [tex]x^z[/tex] This gives you [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{x^{\frac{1}{\pi}}e^{x}} = 0[/tex]
Shinjo
Mar16-05, 07:36 PM
Quote Quote by hypermorphism
That's not really relevant when you have a denominator that is also a function of x. For example, the trivial f(x) = x/x or g(x) = x/(x2 + 1), neither of which diverge as x increases without bound. Now refer to your problem f(x) = xz+1/ex. Note that both numerator and denominator diverge as x increases without bound, so we may apply L'Hospital's rule to examine the equivalent limit (z+1)!/ex.
Ah, Thank you. I just noticed, when the x is an exponent, it increases the term much faster than when x is a base. So I can see how x^y / e^x will = 0 for all y.

Thank you to all once again.
Data
Mar16-05, 07:38 PM
No nuisance. If I thought it were a nuisance to justify my math, I wouldn't be on a math forum! :)

Say [tex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Note that if [tex]y \leq 0[/tex] the result is obvious, so assume [tex] y > 0 [/tex]. Then let [tex]\lfloor a \rfloor[/tex] and [tex] \lceil a \rceil[/tex] represent the floor and ceiling functions applied to [tex]a[/tex] respectively. Thus if [tex] m = \lfloor y \rfloor, \ M = \lceil y \rceil[/tex] we clearly have [tex]x^me^{-x} \leq x^ye^{-x} \leq x^Me^{-x} \ \forall x \geq 1 \Longrightarrow \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}x^me^{-x} \leq \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^ye^{-x} \leq \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^Me^{-x}[/tex] (by a slightly generalized version of the squeeze theorem).

Now, let [tex]a \in \mathbb{N}^+[/tex]. By l'Hopital's rule, applied [tex] a[/tex] times, we have

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^ae^{-x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^a}{e^x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{ax^{a-1}}{e^x} = . \ . \ . = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a!}{e^x} = a! \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{-x} = 0[/tex]

and since for [tex] y \ge 0[/tex] clearly [tex] M \geq m \geq 0, \ M, m \in \mathbb{N}[/tex] we get [tex] 0 = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^m e^{-x} \leq \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} x^ye^{-x} \leq \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^M e^{-x} = 0 \Longrightarrow \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^y e^{-x} = 0[/tex] as we wanted. QED.

Register to reply