Integration by Parts, an introduction I get confused with

mcastillo356
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
The theoretical part is no problem. I also understand the following example; but at the next paragraphs, I've got a naive question I want to share with the forum.
Hi, PF

Integration by parts is pointed out this way:

Suppose that ##U(x)## and ##V(x)## are two differentiable functions. According to the Product Rule,

$$\displaystyle\frac{d}{dx}\big(U(x)V(x)\big)=U(x)\displaystyle\frac{dV}{dx}+V(x)\displaystyle\frac{dU}{dx}$$

Integrating both sides of this equation and transposing terms, we obtain

$$\displaystyle\int{\,U(x)\displaystyle\frac{dV}{dx}dx}=U(x)V(x)-\displaystyle\int{\,V(x)\displaystyle\frac{dU}{dx}dx}$$

or, more simply,

$$\displaystyle\int{\,UdV}=UV-\displaystyle\int{\,VdU}$$

(...)

EXAMPLE 1 ##\displaystyle\int{\,xe^{x}dx}## Let ##U=x##, ##dV=e^{x}dx##.
Then ##dU=dx, V=e^{x}##.
##=xe^{x}-\displaystyle\int{\,e^{x}dx} (i.e., UV-\int{\,VdU}##
##=xe^{x}-e^{x}+C##

Note also that had we included a constant of integration with V, for example, V=e^{x}+K, that constant would cancel out in the next step:

##\displaystyle\int{\,xe^{x}dx}=x(e^{x}+K)-\displaystyle\int{(e^{x}+K)dx}##
$$=xe^{x}+Kx-e^{x}-Kx+C=xe^{x}-e^{x}+C$$

In general, do not include a constant of integration with ##V## or on the right-hand side until the last integral has been evaluated

Question: it is the appearance of ##K## to express a constant of integration:

(i) Could it have been any other letter of the alphabet?
(ii) Mention ##C'## could have been misleading?

Greetings!

Attempt
(i) It wouldn't have been appropiate neither the Greek alphabet, ment for linear equationts, physics notations (for example ##\Omega## stands for electrical resistance), nor non Latin not capital letters etc,
(ii) ##C'=0##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may use any alphabet including Greece you like. With suffices
[tex]C_1,C_2,C_3,…[/tex] works also.

• Informative
Likes e_jane and mcastillo356
Hi, @anuttarasammyak, brilliant.
anuttarasammyak said:
You may use any alphabet including Greece you like. With suffices
[tex]C_1,C_2,C_3,…[/tex] works also.
Thanks a lot

Likes e_jane

What is Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is a method used to integrate a product of two functions. It is often used when the integral of a function cannot be easily evaluated using other integration techniques.

How does Integration by Parts work?

The method of Integration by Parts involves using the product rule of differentiation to rewrite the original integral as a new integral that is hopefully easier to solve. This is done by choosing one of the functions as the "u" term and the other as the "dv" term.

When should I use Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts should be used when the integral involves a product of two functions and other integration techniques, such as substitution or trigonometric identities, cannot be applied. It can also be used when the integral involves a function multiplied by its derivative.

What is the formula for Integration by Parts?

The formula for Integration by Parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions being integrated and du and dv are their respective differentials.

What are some tips for using Integration by Parts?

Some tips for using Integration by Parts include choosing the "u" term wisely, using tabular integration for repetitive integrals, and being aware of common patterns and tricks that can make the integration process easier.