Why does the normal force affect friction?

In summary, the author is unsure if the roughness model is correct, but tries to explain it in a way that makes sense to a first year student.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

I am student teaching a class about static friction soon.

I am worried a student is going to ask me where Fstatic friction = μ
sFnormal comes from. I am not sure how to explain it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've always thought of it this way. Consider a rock on a table. Normal force is a measure of how hard the table pushes up on the rock.

If the normal force pushes harder, the rough surface irregularities on the table "catch" more on the rock and that increases friction.

But it just occurred to me that I have NO clue if this is true. Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Teach friction empirically and students will discover that it is proportional to the weight of the object.

It is commonly taught that friction comes from irregularities in the surfaces that catch on each other - but that is not the only source. See:
http://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=18391

If you use the "roughness" model, to slide, the surfaces have to lift slightly.
The harder you press the surfaces together, the harder it is for the surfaces to jolt apart enough to slide, thus, the more friction. The "normal force" is one way of quantifying how hard the surfaces are pressed together.

Well, since nobody bit, I'll try to give my two cents. I'm really just a first year student, so I may be wrong.

I think that if you think of it on the molecular level, it'll make more sense. If you visualize all little crags/valleys, you can see how, if you apply more downward force, you will need more force in the x direction to move it. It would be similar to rolling a wheel over a step.

It makes sens to me, not sure it it really works like that.

It's such an intuitive idea that I doubt you'll be asked about it, I didn't even think of this question until I read your post.

1. Why is the normal force important in understanding friction?

The normal force is essential in understanding friction because it is the force that is perpendicular to the surfaces in contact. This force is responsible for creating the microscopic bumps and ridges that cause friction between two surfaces. Without the normal force, there would be no friction.

2. How does the normal force affect the strength of friction?

The normal force has a direct impact on the strength of friction. The greater the normal force, the stronger the frictional force will be. This is because a larger normal force results in a greater number of microscopic bumps and ridges, which causes more resistance between the surfaces and increases the frictional force.

3. Can the normal force change the direction of friction?

Yes, the normal force can change the direction of friction. The direction of friction always acts opposite to the direction of motion, but if the normal force changes, the direction of friction will also change. For example, if an object is pushed downwards, the normal force will increase, causing the direction of friction to change from backwards to forwards.

4. How does the angle of the normal force affect friction?

The angle of the normal force has a significant effect on friction. When the normal force is perpendicular to the surface, the frictional force will be at its maximum. As the angle of the normal force becomes more parallel to the surface, the frictional force decreases. This is because there are fewer bumps and ridges in contact between the surfaces.

5. Does the normal force always affect friction?

Yes, the normal force always affects friction. Even in situations where it may seem like the normal force is not present, such as an object sliding on a frictionless surface, there is still a normal force acting on the object. This is because the normal force is the result of the electromagnetic forces between the atoms of the two surfaces in contact.