Application of Newton's second law to a horizontal pulley

In summary, static friction is a variable reaction force with a maximum possible magnitude of μN. If the net external force on a box is less than μN, the static friction force will have the same magnitude but in the opposite direction. To make the net external force 0, an equal and opposite force of 20N needs to be applied. The minimum and maximum possible forces to make the system static are 14N and 26N respectively, as long as the net external force is less than μN.
ElectroMaster88
Homework Statement
Body A, which has a mass of 3 kg, is on a horizontal surface and is connected by a massless and frictionless string and pulley to body B, which is suspended in the air and has a mass of 2 kg. The coefficient of friction (static and kinetic) between body A and the horizontal surface is 0.2.
A horizontal force F is applied to body A to the left.
A. Calculate what the value of the force F should be in order for the frictional force between body A and the surface to be zero.
B. In what range of values should the force F be in order for the system to be in a static state? There are answers:
A. 20N
B. 14N ≤ F ≤ 26N
Relevant Equations
x=x0+v0t+at^2/2
v=v0+at
f=μ*N
N=mg
Newton's Second Law
I don't understand how to solve these, and I don't understand how an horizontal force can affect the friction force if it's defined by μ*N, and the additional force affect neither of those. I also don't understand how there is a range of possible forces that F can be to make the system static, if only one option can make the horizontal net force 0.
I am clearly missing something and I don't understand what.

Attachments

• problem.png
    problem.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 60
Physics news on Phys.org
ElectroMaster88 said:
I am clearly missing something and I don't understand what.
Static friction is a variable reaction force. It is not a force with a fixed magnitude. The quantity ##\mu N## is the maximum possible force of static fiction. If the box is free from external forces, then the static friction acting on it is zero. If the net external force on the box is less than ##\mu N##, then the static friction force will have precisely the same magnitude as the new external force, but in the opposite direction.

Likes berkeman and Lnewqban
I think I understood:
Because the tension of the string is 20N, to make the net external force on box A 0 (which will make static friction of 0), I need to apply 20N of force in the opposite direction, which is F.
So that's why the answer is 20N.

And because μN is the maximum possible force of static friction (which is in this case 6N), at minimum I need to apply 14N of force to the opposite direction (20-6=14), and at maximum 26N, which will make the same scenario like in the 14N but with switched sides.
So as long as the net external force on the box is less than μN, the system will stay static.
Have I understood it right?

Likes Lnewqban and PeroK

1. How is Newton's second law applied to a horizontal pulley?

Newton's second law states that the force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of a horizontal pulley, this means that the net force acting on the pulley and the objects attached to it must be equal to the mass of the objects multiplied by their acceleration.

2. What is the role of tension in the application of Newton's second law to a horizontal pulley?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through a rope, string, or cable when it is pulled tight. In the case of a horizontal pulley, tension is the force that is applied to the objects attached to the pulley. This tension is what causes the objects to accelerate, and it must be taken into account when applying Newton's second law.

3. Can Newton's second law be applied to a horizontal pulley with multiple masses?

Yes, Newton's second law can be applied to a horizontal pulley with multiple masses. The net force acting on the pulley and the objects attached to it will be equal to the total mass of the objects multiplied by their acceleration. Each individual mass will experience a different tension force, but the net force will still follow Newton's second law.

4. How does the direction of acceleration affect the application of Newton's second law to a horizontal pulley?

The direction of acceleration will determine the direction of the net force acting on the pulley and the objects attached to it. If the objects are accelerating in the same direction, the net force will be in the same direction. However, if the objects are accelerating in opposite directions, the net force will be in the direction of the larger acceleration.

5. Are there any limitations to the application of Newton's second law to a horizontal pulley?

Newton's second law is a fundamental principle of physics and can be applied to a wide range of scenarios, including a horizontal pulley. However, it is important to note that this law assumes ideal conditions and may not accurately predict the behavior of real-world systems due to factors such as friction and air resistance.