Relationship between photochemical mechanisms and chiral molecules

In summary, the conversation discusses the influence of circularly polarized light on the chirality and optical activity of molecules. The speaker is seeking help in understanding if there is a consistent relationship between CPL and chirality, and how to gather data for this question. They also mention that previous studies have observed small effects of CPL on photochemical reactions, often with the origin of life in mind.
ChiralWaltz
I'm way outside my realm of knowledge here so perhaps I need some help polishing my question or the concepts behind it. Thank you for your patience.

Does the orientation of circularly polarized light (CPL) as a reaction mechanism influence the chirality of the molecule in a general manner, such as left handed circularly polarized light creates levorotatory molecules? More importantly, does CPL influence the optical activity in a similarly consistent manner?

L/D chiral conventions are based on nomenclature rules and therefore I suspect any influence would be coincidental. How would I Google or go about collecting data for my question?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I do know that starting in the 1970s if not earlier many observations have been made of chirally asymetric photochemical reactions promoted by circularly polarised light, though as far as I know the effects have always been quite small.

More often than not the work is done with origin of life very much in mind.

Thanks for the response. The relationship light has with life has been on my mind recently.

1. What is the relationship between photochemical mechanisms and chiral molecules?

Photochemical mechanisms refer to the chemical reactions that occur when a molecule is exposed to light. Chiral molecules are those that have a non-superimposable mirror image. The relationship between these two concepts lies in the fact that light can induce changes in the three-dimensional structure of chiral molecules, leading to different chemical properties and reactions.

2. How does photochemistry affect the stereochemistry of chiral molecules?

Photochemistry can alter the spatial arrangement of atoms in chiral molecules, leading to changes in their stereochemistry. This is due to the absorption of light energy by the molecule, which can cause bond rotations or isomerizations, resulting in a different arrangement of atoms in space.

3. Can photochemical reactions be used to create chiral molecules?

Yes, photochemical reactions can be used to create chiral molecules by inducing changes in the three-dimensional structure of non-chiral molecules. This is known as asymmetric photoredox catalysis and is a useful method for synthesizing chiral molecules in a controlled and efficient manner.

4. What are some examples of photochemical reactions involving chiral molecules?

One example is the photoisomerization of alkenes, which can lead to the formation of chiral products. Another example is the photochemical resolution of racemic mixtures, where light is used to selectively isomerize one enantiomer, leaving the other unchanged. Additionally, photochemical reactions can also be used to create chiral centers in molecules.

5. How does the chirality of a molecule affect its photochemical properties?

The chirality of a molecule can greatly influence its photochemical properties, as it determines the spatial arrangement of the molecule's bonds and functional groups. This can affect the absorption of light and the subsequent chemical reactions that occur. Additionally, chiral molecules may exhibit different reactivity and selectivity compared to their achiral counterparts when exposed to light.