BMR and adaptive thermogenesis: what's the 'norm'?

by Aymeric
Tags: adaptive, norm, thermogenesis
Aymeric
Mar21-13, 07:01 AM
P: 10
Hello,

I've often read that average BMR can decrease as a result of a restrictive diet, in a process known as adaptive thermogenesis.

What I haven't been able to find out though, is how exactly the body manages to 'use fewer nutrients' for the same tasks. Are sacrifices made anywhere? Are those sacrifices detrimental to general health?

Which raises the question of whether an 'adapted' (i.e. lowered, 'starvation-mode') BMR is not actually the normal BMR that we are supposed to have, as opposed to the current average BMRs that we witness in today's population because of the world of plenty we now live in. Aren't those BMRs possibly much higher than what the human body is made for? To me, this is what our ability to function properly on fewer nutrients would suggest...

Thanks in advance...
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Citizen scientists match research tool when counting sharks
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
First sex determining genes appeared in mammals 180 million years ago
aroc91
Mar21-13, 07:19 PM
P: 160
I wouldn't say that the body uses fewer nutrients for the same tasks. I would say that they body slows down the rate at which those tasks occur. Tissue repair and anabolism in general would merely slow down.

Register to reply