Register to reply

Liquid-Vapor Equilibrium and Vapor Pressure

by jaumzaum
Tags: equilibrium, liquidvapor, pressure, vapor
Share this thread:
jaumzaum
Mar25-13, 05:31 PM
P: 248
I'm studying vapor pressure and I'm having trouble to understand some concepts.

Vapor pressure depends only on the temperature of the liquid in question right? For example, if we have a container with water at 30 C, it doesn't matter the experiment, would it ALWAYS be a vapor phase with pressure = vapor pressure of water at 30C = 31.8 mmHg?

So consider the following experiment: In a container we have water at 30C. One end is closed while in the other we have a piston. Above the pistons we have weights that do a initial pressure of 200mm Hg on the water. Is there water in the vapor state? I would say yes, but if so the vapor should exert a pressure of 31.8mmHg, and where would be the other 268.2mm Hg? The only explanation I thought is that a few bubbles of gas above the liquid makes the 31.8mmHg but the liquid still stays in contact with the piston making the other 268.2 mmHg. But I haven't read this in anywhere, is it right?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Vibrational motion of a single molecule measured in real time
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Bubbling down: Discovery suggests surprising uses for common bubbles
jaumzaum
Mar26-13, 04:41 PM
Correction: "Above the pistons we have weights that do a initial pressure of 300 mm Hg"

Nobody knows the answer?
etudiant
Mar26-13, 08:59 PM
PF Gold
P: 860
I do not see the need to subtract the vapor pressure anywhere. There is the same pressure beneath the piston as beneath the closed end, so the full effect of the piston weight is transmitted.

Chestermiller
Mar26-13, 09:11 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 5,185
Liquid-Vapor Equilibrium and Vapor Pressure

Quote Quote by jaumzaum View Post
I'm studying vapor pressure and I'm having trouble to understand some concepts.

Vapor pressure depends only on the temperature of the liquid in question right? For example, if we have a container with water at 30 C, it doesn't matter the experiment, would it ALWAYS be a vapor phase with pressure = vapor pressure of water at 30C = 31.8 mmHg?

So consider the following experiment: In a container we have water at 30C. One end is closed while in the other we have a piston. Above the pistons we have weights that do a initial pressure of 200mm Hg on the water. Is there water in the vapor state? I would say yes, but if so the vapor should exert a pressure of 31.8mmHg, and where would be the other 268.2mm Hg? The only explanation I thought is that a few bubbles of gas above the liquid makes the 31.8mmHg but the liquid still stays in contact with the piston making the other 268.2 mmHg. But I haven't read this in anywhere, is it right?
There wouldn't be any vapor present. Assuming there is a vacuum above the piston, you would have to raise the temperature enough for the vapor pressure of water to equal the pressure applied by the weights (200 mm Hg). That would be about 66 C. Until then, you would only have liquid water.
jaumzaum
Mar27-13, 11:10 PM
I can't understand why!
When we look at the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution of molecular energy we see that any liquid has some molecules with energy enough to pass to the gaseous state. On the surface of the example I gave, shouldn't be liquid water turning into water vapor?

Register to reply